In this course you’ll learn about Māori art conventions, designs and practices to develop your skills with kuru/tā/pao (mallets), whao (chisels), karakia and the carving process.
During this course you’ll design and carve at least one two-dimensional piece and one three-dimensional piece, which will include at least one mahunga (head) and one manaia (beaked figure).
- This course takes place one day per week over three weeks.
- $280 (excl. GST)
- 23013 – Apply Māori art conventions, designs and practices to develop whakairo.
Future Career Opportunities:
- tohunga whakairo (master carver)
- an artist
- art restoration expert
- cultural art educator
- a student on the Creative Industries Vocational Pathway.
Where to from here?
- STAR Māori Art Design
- STAR Māori Art Drawing Techniques
- Kāwai Raupapa - Introduction to (Māori) Art. (Level 3)