Last updated on 28 June 2018.
- what kind of personal information we collect;
- when we collect personal information;
- how we use personal information;
- how we store personal information;
- how you can access/amend your personal information; and
- how you can contact us for further information.
What kind of personal information we collect
We collect the personal information you give us. We may also obtain personal information from third parties with your authorisation and where permitted by law.
The personal information we collect may include (without limitation) your name, address, contact details and date of birth.
When we collect personal information
We may collect personal information about you in the following circumstances:
- when you enquire about or request, or register or apply for, any of our courses or programmes;
- when we contact you about any of the courses or programmes we offer;
- when you provide or enter personal information via online forms on our website or otherwise as part of your use of our website;
- when you contact us in relation to any courses or programmes we provide to you;
- when you complete any surveys about our courses or programmes that we invite you to complete;
- when you submit any assessment or course work to us; and
- when you contact us for any other purpose.
How we use personal information
We may use your personal information for any of the following purposes:
- to process and respond to your enquiries, requests, registrations or applications relating to or for any of our courses or programmes;
- to contact you about any of the courses or programmes we offer;
- to search for and deal with your enquiries, requests, registrations or applications;
- to provide our courses or programmes to you;
- to inform you of any courses, programmes or scholarships which may be of interest to you;
- to comply with relevant laws;
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected;
- for our administrative purposes and any other purposes permitted by law;
- to provide assistance to you in the event of an emergency; and
- to improve our services to you.
We may disclose your personal information (including your identity):
- to our agents, service providers (including our hosting providers) and any other relevant third parties to the extent necessary to carry out any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information (as outlined above);
- to any government department or professional registration body to the extent necessary to carry out any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information, including the following agencies:
- The Ministry of Education
- The Ministry of Social Development
- The Ministry of Justice
- Immigration New Zealand
- New Zealand Police
- Inland Revenue
- Te Puni Kōkiri
- Tertiary Education Commission
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- to external organisations to verify your qualification or experience in connection with any pre-qualification approval process for a course or programme;
- if we are requested to do so in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations;
- in the event of an emergency, to emergency services, nominated emergency contact person, or other person assessed as necessary to respond to the emergency; or
- with your authorisation or where we are otherwise permitted to do so by applicable law.
Except as provided above, we will not share your personal information with any other third parties and will not sell, license or rent your personal information to third parties.
How we store personal information
Certain information may be stored on our hosting provider's servers. We have entered into appropriate arrangements requiring our hosting provider to keep the hosted information secure and confidential.
Where we store personal information ourselves, we ensure that it is kept safe and secure, using reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access and use of personal information.
A cookie is a small data file that the website sends to your browser or mobile device (as the case may be), which may then store it for later retrieval by the website.
Some cookies we use last only for the duration of your website session and expire when you close your browser. We may use other cookies to remember you when you return to the website and these will last for longer.
If you reject cookies, you may still use our website, but your ability to use some of its features or functionality may be limited.
How you can access/amend your personal information
You may access your personal information that we hold by contacting us. We will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep about you. However, we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable amount for providing copies of any personal information you request, to take into account the time, cost and effort involved.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you is corrected by contacting us. If we do not agree to your request for a correction, you may then request that we take reasonable steps to attach to the information a statement of the correction sought but not made.
How long we hold personal information
We will determine how long we will hold your personal information, except that we will not keep personal information for longer than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which we may lawfully use it.
How you can contact us for further information