Last updated Monday 13th November 2023
- what kind of personal information we collect;
- when we collect personal information;
- how we use personal information;
- how we store personal information;
- how you can access/amend your personal information; and
- how you can contact us for further information.
What kind of personal information we collect
We collect the personal information you give us.
We may also obtain personal information from third parties with your authorisation and where permitted by law.
The personal information we collect may include (without limitation) your name, address, contact details, date of birth, information about your academic resources, assessments and results, and information about your use of our services or participation in our events.
When we collect personal information
We may collect personal information about you in the following circumstances:
- when you enquire about or request information about us or any of our courses or programmes or events;
- when you or register or apply for, any of our courses, programmes or our events;
- when we contact you about any of the courses or programmes we offer or our events;
- when you provide your information to us by any means, including when you enter personal information via online forms on our website or otherwise as part of your use of our website or our services or participation in our events;
- when you contact us in relation to any services, courses, programmes or events we provide or conduct;
- when you access, use or submit information through iAkoranga, iQualify or any other platform operated by us;
- when you complete any surveys we invite you to complete;
- when you submit any assessment or course work to us; and
- when you contact us for any other purpose.
If you do not provide, or allow us to collect, the personal information that we request, we may not be able to provide our services to you and you may not be able to use some or all of our services.
How we use personal information
We may use your personal information for any of the following purposes:
- to process, deal with and respond to:
- your enquiries or requests for information about us or any of our courses, programmes or events; or
- your registrations or applications for any of our courses, programmes or events;
- to enable us to provide our courses, programmes, events and support services to you;
- to contact you about any of the courses, programmes or events we offer or conduct;
- to provide you with our online educational services through the iAkoranga and iQualify platforms;
- for the provision of learning resources for our courses and programmes, which may include examples of aromatawai submitted by tauira;
- to inform you of any courses, programmes, events or scholarships which may be of interest to you;
- to comply with relevant laws;
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected;
- for our administrative purposes, moderation, audit, reporting and analytics, and any other purposes permitted by law;
- to provide assistance to you in the event of an emergency;
- where required for the purposes of any external review of our organisation;
- to improve your user experience on our website, and for marketing, including as set out in the cookies, web beacons and storage technologies section; and
- to improve our services to you including any support services we may be able to offer to you and any risk profiling; and
- to assist us in organising our Kāpuia graduate initiatives and deciding when to contact you regarding specific communications that align with your interests, and to ensure our Kāpuia graduates stay connected with us.
We may disclose your personal information (including your identity):
- to our agents, service providers (including our hosting providers and platform providers), our partnering organisations, contracted third parties, and any other relevant third parties (including other tauira) to the extent necessary to carry out, or in connection with, any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information (as outlined above);
- to any government department or professional registration body to the extent necessary to carry out any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information, including the following agencies:
- The Ministry of Education
- The Ministry of Social Development
- The Ministry of Justice
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Immigration New Zealand
- Immigration New Zealand
- New Zealand Police
- Inland Revenue
- Te Puni Kōkiri
- Tertiary Education Commission
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Audit New Zealand
- Work and Income New Zealand
- Industry Training Organisations
- Industry Licensing and Registration Boards
- Oranga Tamariki
- to external organisations to verify your qualification or experience in connection with any pre-qualification approval process for a course or programme;
- if we are requested to do so in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations;
- in the event of an emergency, to emergency services, nominated emergency contact person, or other person assessed as necessary to respond to the emergency; or
- with your authorisation or where we are otherwise permitted to do so by applicable law.
Except as provided above, we will not share your personal information with any other third parties and will not sell, license or rent your personal information to third parties.
How we store personal information
Certain information may be stored on our hosting provider's servers, that we have provided express consent to use. We have entered into appropriate arrangements requiring our hosting provider to keep the hosted information secure and confidential.
Where we store personal information ourselves, we ensure that it is kept safe and secure, using reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access and use of personal information.
A cookie is a small data file that the website sends to your browser or mobile device (as the case may be), which may then store it for later retrieval by the website. Some cookies we use last only for the duration of your website session and expire when you close your browser. We may use other cookies to remember you when you return to the website and these will last for longer.
You can disable cookies, web beacons and these other storage technologies at any time by using your web browser options. If you do this, you may still use our website, but your ability to use some of its features or functionality may be limited.
Use of analytics
We use the information from your enrolment application to help you succeed, improve your experience at TWoA and complete your qualification. Information about you is analysed to identify areas where you may need additional support from us. Through data analysis, we may offer such support as referring you to student services, providing academic advice or regularly checking in to help you get the most out of your course.
Our learner analytics programme follows strict ethical guidelines to ensure that we treat your data with care. The information we analyse includes your:
- previous education records;
- date of birth;
- next of kin;
- passport; and
- birth or marriage certificates.
How you can access/amend your personal information
You may request access to your personal information that we hold by contacting us. We will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep about you that can be readily retrieved unless any of the reasons for withholding that information under the Privacy Act 2020 apply.
However, we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable amount for providing copies of any personal information you request, to take into account the time, cost and effort involved.
You may also amend your personal information associated with your iAkoranga and Akorau (iQualify) account by updating your account details in the platform.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you is corrected by contacting us. You may also provide us with a statement of the correction sought (Statement of Correction).
Statement of Correction
If we do not agree to your request for a correction, you may request that we attach the Statement of Correction to your information, in which case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the Statement of Correction is attached to the information in a manner that ensures it will always be read with your information.
How long we hold personal information
We will determine how long we will hold your personal information, except that we will not keep personal information for longer than is necessary for the purpose for which we may lawfully use it.
How you can contact us for further information