Last updated Monday 22 June, 2020
- what kind of personal information we collect;
- when we collect personal information;
- how we use personal information;
- how we store personal information;
- how you can access/amend your personal information; and
- how you can contact us for further information.
What kind of personal information we collect
We collect the personal information you give us.
We may also obtain personal information from third parties with your authorisation and where permitted by law.
The personal information we collect may include (without limitation) your name, address, contact details, date of birth and information about your academic resources, assessments and results.
When we collect personal information
We may collect personal information about you in the following circumstances:
- when you enquire about or request information about us or any of our courses or programmes;
- when you or register or apply for, any of our courses or programmes;
- when we contact you about any of the courses or programmes we offer;
- when you provide your information to us by any means, including when you enter personal information via online forms on our website or otherwise as part of your use of our website;
- when you contact us in relation to any services, courses or programmes we provide to you;
- when you access, use or submit information through iAkoranga, iQualify or any other platform operated by us;
- when you complete any surveys we invite you to complete;
- when you submit any assessment or course work to us; and
- when you contact us for any other purpose.
How we use personal information
We may use your personal information for any of the following purposes:
- to process, deal with and respond to:
- your enquiries or requests for information about us or any of our courses or programmes; or
- your registrations or applications for any of our courses or programmes;
- to enable us to provide our courses, programmes and support services to you;
- to contact you about any of the courses or programmes we offer;
- to provide you with our online educational services through the iAkoranga and iQualify platforms;
- to inform you of any courses, programmes or scholarships which may be of interest to you;
- to comply with relevant laws;
- for any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time your personal information is collected;
- for our administrative purposes and any other purposes permitted by law;
- to provide assistance to you in the event of an emergency;
- where required for the purposes of any external review of our organisation; and
- to improve our services to you including any support services we may be able to offer to you and any risk profiling.
We may disclose your personal information (including your identity):
- to our agents, service providers (including our hosting providers), our partnering organisations, contracted third parties, and any other relevant third parties to the extent necessary to carry out any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information (as outlined above);
- to any government department or professional registration body to the extent necessary to carry out any of the purposes for which we may use your personal information, including the following agencies:
- The Ministry of Education
- The Ministry of Social Development
- The Ministry of Justice
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Immigration New Zealand
- Immigration New Zealand
- New Zealand Police
- Inland Revenue
- Te Puni Kōkiri
- Tertiary Education Commission
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- Audit New Zealand
- Work and Income New Zealand
- Industry Training Organisations
- Industry Licensing and Registration Boards
- Oranga Tamariki
- to external organisations to verify your qualification or experience in connection with any pre-qualification approval process for a course or programme;
- if we are requested to do so in the course of legal proceedings or other investigations;
- in the event of an emergency, to emergency services, nominated emergency contact person, or other person assessed as necessary to respond to the emergency; or
- with your authorisation or where we are otherwise permitted to do so by applicable law.
Except as provided above, we will not share your personal information with any other third parties and will not sell, license or rent your personal information to third parties.
How we store personal information
Certain information may be stored on our hosting provider's servers, that we have provided express consent to use. We have entered into appropriate arrangements requiring our hosting provider to keep the hosted information secure and confidential.
Where we store personal information ourselves, we ensure that it is kept safe and secure, using reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access and use of personal information.
A cookie is a small data file that the website sends to your browser or mobile device (as the case may be), which may then store it for later retrieval by the website. Some cookies we use last only for the duration of your website session and expire when you close your browser. We may use other cookies to remember you when you return to the website and these will last for longer.
If you reject cookies, you may still use our website, but your ability to use some of its features or functionality may be limited.
How you can access/amend your personal information
You may request access to your personal information that we hold by contacting us. We will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep about you that can be readily retrieved unless any of the reasons for withholding that information under the Privacy Act 1993 apply.
However, we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable amount for providing copies of any personal information you request, to take into account the time, cost and effort involved.
You may also amend your personal information associated with your iAkoranga and Akorau (iQualify) account by updating your account details in the platform.
You may request that the personal information we hold about you is corrected by contacting us.
If we do not agree to your request for a correction, you may then request that we take reasonable steps to attach to the information a statement of the correction sought but not made.
How long we hold personal information
We will determine how long we will hold your personal information, except that we will not keep personal information for longer than is necessary for the purpose for which we may lawfully use it.
How you can contact us for further information