Belinda Wang was qualified for her line of work and business was going well - but she felt she needed something more.

Belinda owns Sean Recruitment, which offers recruitment services both in New Zealand and abroad.

She also provides immigration advice to help skilled migrants get work here.

Her Auckland-based business was progressing reasonably well and Belinda could have rested on her laurels but she believed something was missing.

“I had a marketing degree but I felt I needed to have a more thorough concept of how to manage a small business,” she said.

Belinda found it with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa after she enrolled in a free certificate of small business management programme.

The 36-week course introduces students to business planning processes in New Zealand, business law, marketing, management and accounting.

The following year Belinda studied towards a certificate in management, also through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

Belinda says the qualifications she gained through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa have helped to expand her business.

“The courses were very interesting and very helpful for my business – especially the marketing management module and financial and people management,” said Belinda.

“All of these modules were very practical and I have applied this theoretical knowledge in the running of my business.”

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa prides itself on providing a unique learning environment that delivers holistic education opportunities of the highest quality.

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa believes that education is the key in assisting whānau to achieve positive transformation in their lives.

It’s something that Belinda can attest to.

“What I learned on the programme was very practical and very useful for my business,” she said.

“I have recommended Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to  my friends some of whom want to open their own cafes, shops or restaurants.  I have told them the information on the programme that I did was very helpful and practical and I believe could help them with their business plan.”

Today, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa delivers programmes and courses to over 32,000 students at 120 sites in 50 towns and cities throughout the country. 

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was established in 1985 and more than 300,000 students have graduated from its courses and programmes since.

To enrol in our semester B free Small Business Management course click here to talk to us about the course give us a call on 0800 355 553

Published On: 09 July 2015

Article By: James Ihaka

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.