Belinda Wang was qualified for her line of work and business was going well - but she felt she needed something more.

Belinda owns Sean Recruitment, which offers recruitment services both in New Zealand and abroad.

She also provides immigration advice to help skilled migrants get work here.

Her Auckland-based business was progressing reasonably well and Belinda could have rested on her laurels but she believed something was missing.

“I had a marketing degree but I felt I needed to have a more thorough concept of how to manage a small business,” she said.

Belinda found it with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa after she enrolled in a free certificate of small business management programme.

The 36-week course introduces students to business planning processes in New Zealand, business law, marketing, management and accounting.

The following year Belinda studied towards a certificate in management, also through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

Belinda says the qualifications she gained through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa have helped to expand her business.

“The courses were very interesting and very helpful for my business – especially the marketing management module and financial and people management,” said Belinda.

“All of these modules were very practical and I have applied this theoretical knowledge in the running of my business.”

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa prides itself on providing a unique learning environment that delivers holistic education opportunities of the highest quality.

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa believes that education is the key in assisting whānau to achieve positive transformation in their lives.

It’s something that Belinda can attest to.

“What I learned on the programme was very practical and very useful for my business,” she said.

“I have recommended Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to  my friends some of whom want to open their own cafes, shops or restaurants.  I have told them the information on the programme that I did was very helpful and practical and I believe could help them with their business plan.”

Today, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa delivers programmes and courses to over 32,000 students at 120 sites in 50 towns and cities throughout the country. 

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was established in 1985 and more than 300,000 students have graduated from its courses and programmes since.

To enrol in our semester B free Small Business Management course click here to talk to us about the course give us a call on 0800 355 553

Published On: 09 July 2015

Article By: James Ihaka

• 26 May, 2020

Cycles of crisis and Māori resilience

At Te Wānanga o Aotearoa we are proud of our history and mindful that we are beneficiaries of the foresight and vision of our founding kuia and kaumātua.

• 22 May, 2020

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and the TEC renew commitment to partnership

The Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) and Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA) have renewed their commitment to work together in a partnership that is based upon Te Tiriti o Waitangi and focused on learners across Aotearoa.

• 8 May, 2020

Dante writes a bright future

Italian poet Dante was famous for his vision of hell. Dante O’Driscoll from Patetonga is eyeing a far more rosy future, with help from the Waikato-based Youth Services team at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 23 April, 2020

Research leads to push for recognition

A Te Wānanga o Aotearoa masters tauira is on a mission to see Pasifika Coastwatchers formally recognised for their efforts during WWII.