Kumeroa and Jubilee Poutapu

For more than 20 years Kumeroa and Jubilee Poutapu carved out careers across the ditch in Sydney, but it was their tamariki and passion for te reo Māori that brought them home.

Kumeroa and Jubilee graduated with Te Ara Reo Māori level 2 certificates at Te Wāenga graduation ceremony convened at Hamilton Boys High School last week and are committed to reviving their fluency in te reo.

“I’ve been brought up with the reo around me since I was a young and I just wanted to refresh it and pick up the reo for our kids who were the ones that wanted to come back as they felt they were missing out,” says Kumeroa.  “It's been a journey, and I’m happy to achieve the goal.”

The Waikato-Tainui couple live in Huntly and studied at the Rahui Pōkeka campus with their kaiako and enjoyed their marae noho at Te Ohaaki Marae but there were challenges also.

“It was tough especially learning the new kupu that the wānanga are putting out, the days, the months, so it was like going back to the beginning and learning all over again but I think I’ve got the structure right.

They are already studying on the Te Ara Reo Maori level 4 certificate and aspire to reach Te Aupikitanga.

“It was certainly a challenge it was about stepping up. So having the opportunity to start all over again certainly paid off today with our graduation – it’s a small success for my wife and our kids,” says Jubilee.

Published On:

Article By: Te Anga Nathan

• 28 July, 2021

Rare exhibition for arts icon

A solo exhibition covering the 50 year career of one of Māoridom’s most important artists launches next weekend in Porirua.

• 20 July, 2021

Forestry course helps young father turn life around

Charlie Wallace has previously had some struggles, including minor brushes with the law, but has turned his life around after completing a forestry course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Rotorua.

• 19 July 2021

Kōwhaiwhai – a lens into te ao Māori

Toni uses kōwhaiwhai as a lens for her tauira (students) to see te ao Māori on the Toi Maruata (the certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) that she teaches.

• 9 July, 2021

Rangatahi now aiming for military careers

Two Waikato-Tainui rangatahi from troubled backgrounds now have military careers firmly in their sights.