nadia

Nadia Poole is making a name for herself by mixing her love of material with motherhood.

The young mum’s new venture Aroha Textiles creates locally-designed woven fabrics to make baby wraps, slings and carriers.

But even with an International Business degree, things like income tax and GST were daunting, so Nadia completed a Certificate in Applied Small Business Growth and Development through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

She encourages anyone considering a business of their own to do the same.

“The course re-lit the spark for me. I was working six days so in a way ….I questioned why I had put so much on my plate. In my heart of hearts though I knew it was needed for my own future. In my case, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa ushered me along to where I wanted to be.”

A vintage clothing enthusiast, Nadia says her obsession with textile patterns and textures came from her mother Jan. Then in 2014 when she became a parent she saw a gap in the baby-wearing market for authentic south Pacific designs.

“Romy was like a paua for her first year and baby wearing saved the day in many ways. When I was feeling drab and disgusting, I’d wrap her against me in a woven piece of beauty and colour and we’d both feel much better.”

Nadia approached a well-known designer to help create something she could get produced into a loom-woven jacquard for her own baby carrier. 

What was then a personal project turned into something much bigger.

Months of research, development and testing was needed to get the right yarn and weave construction make this product the first New Zealand-based brand of its kind. 

“I’m blessed to know hugely talented artists, who are sensitive to cultural appropriation.” 

With baby wraps as the focus, Nadia hopes to see them become legacy items crafted as works of textile art to be enjoyed for generations.

As someone who was afraid of accountants and felt nervous speaking to bank managers, the wānanga course explained to Nadia what was required to make it as a business owner. 

“It's better to get help to figure out whether an idea is viable, rather than always wonder. If it's strong, there's a good chance it’s more attainable than you think.

"I'm extremely grateful, firstly that Te Wānanga o Aotearoa exists and the course was available, but secondly that I jumped at the chance to do it.”

Published On: 24 May, 2016

Article By: Carly Tawhiao

• 20 July, 2021

Forestry course helps young father turn life around

Charlie Wallace has previously had some struggles, including minor brushes with the law, but has turned his life around after completing a forestry course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Rotorua.

• 19 July 2021

Kōwhaiwhai – a lens into te ao Māori

Toni uses kōwhaiwhai as a lens for her tauira (students) to see te ao Māori on the Toi Maruata (the certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) that she teaches.

• 9 July, 2021

Rangatahi now aiming for military careers

Two Waikato-Tainui rangatahi from troubled backgrounds now have military careers firmly in their sights.

• 7 July 2021

Keita keeps learning to benefit her business

After running a successful business with no formal business education behind her, Keita Miru got to a stage where she wanted to upskill herself and fill a few gaps she’d identified in her business plan.