Douglas Newton

Douglas Newton receives his certificate in Arataki Manu Kōrero L4 from kaiako Mataia Keepa.

Douglas Newton is a familiar face on the Māngere campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa but the 73-year-old only ended up there because he got kicked out of home.

“I was happily retired, sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of tea,” he says.

“My wife said to me 'get out and go do something' so I got in the car and drove around wondering what the heck I was going to do.”

What he did was find TWoA and enrol to study environmental management.

“I got addicted. Every day I was coming in to do research. Then I was approached to do Arataki Manu Kōrero level five and for me, it's been a journey of my own development.”

It’s a journey which began in the same town as TwoA, Te Awamutu.

"Where Te Wānanga o Aotearoa started is the place I come from. Back then growing up Te Awamutu was all bush,” he says.

Douglas – Ngāti Raukawa - joined the Army when he left school and served in Vietnam. On his return from active service, he was employed by the Ministry of Works to build dams on the Waikato River before heading south to work on the Clyde Dam in Central Otago.

“There were quite a few returned servicemen working on that dam too. One of my jobs was to supervise the geologists. They all came from overseas and were old - between 60 to 80. For me, they put interest into the area. We'd go to wāhi tapu and if the koroua of Ngāi Tahu told the engineers to change the plans, they did.”

While in the South Island, Douglas got involved with the Central Otago Health Authority and was the Māori representative for an education programme being run in Alexandra. 
“I'm proud to say that the students I took care of got to university and did very well.”

He returned to Auckland in 1996 and worked as superintendent of the Ellerslie underground transmission tunnel, which runs to Hobson St in downtown Auckland, until his retirement.
 But he’s not slowing down and intends studying towards a masters degree in Indigenous Knowledge.

“You  learn, you think and then you create,” he says.

Published On: 5 July, 2016

• 20 July, 2021

Forestry course helps young father turn life around

Charlie Wallace has previously had some struggles, including minor brushes with the law, but has turned his life around after completing a forestry course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Rotorua.

• 19 July 2021

Kōwhaiwhai – a lens into te ao Māori

Toni uses kōwhaiwhai as a lens for her tauira (students) to see te ao Māori on the Toi Maruata (the certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) that she teaches.

• 9 July, 2021

Rangatahi now aiming for military careers

Two Waikato-Tainui rangatahi from troubled backgrounds now have military careers firmly in their sights.

• 7 July 2021

Keita keeps learning to benefit her business

After running a successful business with no formal business education behind her, Keita Miru got to a stage where she wanted to upskill herself and fill a few gaps she’d identified in her business plan.