Gemma Conn

Marketing assistant Gemma Conn joins Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Te Awamutu after more than five years working as a graphic designer and marketing assistant with educational publisher BioZone in Hamilton.

The former Edgecumbe College student completed a Bachelor of Media Arts (Visual Arts) degree at Wintec in Hamilton in 2009 and says while she enjoys graphic design, marketing is where her true passion lies.

“I love marketing and feel most fulfilled knowing that my work is helping the community in some way,” she says.

That was part of the attraction to working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I really like that the wānanga is not just about education, it goes above and beyond and makes a real difference in the community.”

Gemma, who lives in Te Awamutu, particularly enjoys outdoor activities – including mountain biking and bush walking – and intends making the most of those opportunities in the Waikato.
“Apparently the Waikato is the heartland for cycling so I’m looking forward to embracing everything the region has to offer.”

Gemma, who has Ngāpuhi, Te Rarawa, Ngāti Maru and Ngāti Tūwharetoa ancestry, is also looking forward to taking advantage of any opportunities to increase her connection and knowledge of her whakapapa.

“I’m not really connected to my Māori side but I think working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa will be a good opportunity to learn more. I’m particularly keen on learning weaving,” she says.

Published On: 19 July, 2016

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.

• 09 December 2021

Don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture

Cydne Price has a message for anyone studying Toi Māori: don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture.