Gemma Conn

Marketing assistant Gemma Conn joins Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Te Awamutu after more than five years working as a graphic designer and marketing assistant with educational publisher BioZone in Hamilton.

The former Edgecumbe College student completed a Bachelor of Media Arts (Visual Arts) degree at Wintec in Hamilton in 2009 and says while she enjoys graphic design, marketing is where her true passion lies.

“I love marketing and feel most fulfilled knowing that my work is helping the community in some way,” she says.

That was part of the attraction to working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I really like that the wānanga is not just about education, it goes above and beyond and makes a real difference in the community.”

Gemma, who lives in Te Awamutu, particularly enjoys outdoor activities – including mountain biking and bush walking – and intends making the most of those opportunities in the Waikato.
“Apparently the Waikato is the heartland for cycling so I’m looking forward to embracing everything the region has to offer.”

Gemma, who has Ngāpuhi, Te Rarawa, Ngāti Maru and Ngāti Tūwharetoa ancestry, is also looking forward to taking advantage of any opportunities to increase her connection and knowledge of her whakapapa.

“I’m not really connected to my Māori side but I think working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa will be a good opportunity to learn more. I’m particularly keen on learning weaving,” she says.

Published On: 19 July, 2016

• 29 November 2022

Dreams become reality through wānanga police prep programme

Becoming a police officer had always been a dream for single mum, Tori Barton, so she was willing to do whatever it would take to make that dream a reality.

• 10 November 2022

Grandmother relearning the language she was once punished for speaking

Papamoa local, Maggie Hautonga Currie has spent much of her adult life living in Perth but after 37 years she was missing her home, her people, her culture and her reo.

• 31 October 2022

Wānanga teacher makes good out of a childhood spent in foster care

Pirini Edwards was a state ward going through boys’ homes and foster homes throughout his childhood. But it was these childhood experiences and life lessons that led him to his current mahi, teaching the Certificate in Bicultural Social Services at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 26 October 2022

Sharing knowledge integral part of being Māori

Teaching and sharing knowledge is a natural and integral part of being Māori for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako (teacher), Rauangi Ohia.