Gemma Conn

Marketing assistant Gemma Conn joins Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Te Awamutu after more than five years working as a graphic designer and marketing assistant with educational publisher BioZone in Hamilton.

The former Edgecumbe College student completed a Bachelor of Media Arts (Visual Arts) degree at Wintec in Hamilton in 2009 and says while she enjoys graphic design, marketing is where her true passion lies.

“I love marketing and feel most fulfilled knowing that my work is helping the community in some way,” she says.

That was part of the attraction to working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I really like that the wānanga is not just about education, it goes above and beyond and makes a real difference in the community.”

Gemma, who lives in Te Awamutu, particularly enjoys outdoor activities – including mountain biking and bush walking – and intends making the most of those opportunities in the Waikato.
“Apparently the Waikato is the heartland for cycling so I’m looking forward to embracing everything the region has to offer.”

Gemma, who has Ngāpuhi, Te Rarawa, Ngāti Maru and Ngāti Tūwharetoa ancestry, is also looking forward to taking advantage of any opportunities to increase her connection and knowledge of her whakapapa.

“I’m not really connected to my Māori side but I think working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa will be a good opportunity to learn more. I’m particularly keen on learning weaving,” she says.

Published On: 19 July, 2016

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.