Gemma Conn

Marketing assistant Gemma Conn joins Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Te Awamutu after more than five years working as a graphic designer and marketing assistant with educational publisher BioZone in Hamilton.

The former Edgecumbe College student completed a Bachelor of Media Arts (Visual Arts) degree at Wintec in Hamilton in 2009 and says while she enjoys graphic design, marketing is where her true passion lies.

“I love marketing and feel most fulfilled knowing that my work is helping the community in some way,” she says.

That was part of the attraction to working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I really like that the wānanga is not just about education, it goes above and beyond and makes a real difference in the community.”

Gemma, who lives in Te Awamutu, particularly enjoys outdoor activities – including mountain biking and bush walking – and intends making the most of those opportunities in the Waikato.
“Apparently the Waikato is the heartland for cycling so I’m looking forward to embracing everything the region has to offer.”

Gemma, who has Ngāpuhi, Te Rarawa, Ngāti Maru and Ngāti Tūwharetoa ancestry, is also looking forward to taking advantage of any opportunities to increase her connection and knowledge of her whakapapa.

“I’m not really connected to my Māori side but I think working at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa will be a good opportunity to learn more. I’m particularly keen on learning weaving,” she says.

Published On: 19 July, 2016

• 21 June 2022

Managing your money to better manage your future

Julian Johns hopes to see more people take control of their financial future by taking up the opportunity to study the Money Management programme on offer in Taupō through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA).

• 20 June 2022

Solo exhibition shows Jordyn’s on the right track

A single mum who dropped out of high school and never thought higher education was for her has not only completed a degree in Māori art but is now preparing for her first solo exhibition in Kirikiriroa.

• 19 June 2022

Tokoroa local aims to create brighter futures through business

Vera Rabe, is a kaiako (teacher) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Tokoroa campus, teaching the Smart Steps to Business programme, which will begin in July.

• 15 June 2022

Matariki Rising - The mark of a new year

The rising of the stars of Matariki (and Puaka/Puanga) every winter heralds the end of one lunar year and the dawn of the next within te Ao Māori.