Shona Kelsen

Shona Kelsen's family don't bat an eyelid when it comes to her bucket list because they know she likes a challenge.

Since retiring, the 73-year-old has gone from strength to strength -  gaining new skills with the support of her loved ones, including learning the Māori language.

"I'd achieved my Diploma in raranga Māori Art (weaving Raranga) but I felt there was something missing - I wanted to be able to speak the reo and link that together," she says.

"I knew it would be a challenge, but I think it’s vital to keep the language alive. It's a taonga." 

Shona was able to achieve her goal by enrolling into the Level 2 Certificate in Te Ara Reo Māori at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

She first discovered the tertiary provider eight years ago after a long and fulfilling career as an obstetrics nurse.

"I was waiting at the doctor's one day and picked up a leaflet that said; 'Do you enjoy weaving?' Or words to that effect. Being retired, I was looking for something different and I like doing things with my hands so went along and enrolled. It was so exciting."

For someone who had never contemplated the art form previously, let alone seen a flax kete up close, there was no looking back for this mother of four who is also a grandmother of eight and great- grandmother of three.

"With my weaving, I'm always striving to improve. I think at my age the ability to retain information is my biggest challenge, but I'm a determined person and I'll achieve it no matter how long it takes."

Shona says ultimately what she'd like is a "feeling of being at one" with Te Reo Rangatira. What she's received so far however, is much more.

"I've learned the warmth and tikanga of the culture and I can appreciate applying it to everyday life amongst whāanau. They're never surprised at what I do," she says.

"I think it will fulfill me for the rest of my life. Everyday I’m excited and enthused about what I’m doing. I feel very much at peace." 

Published On: 17 Jan, 2017

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.