Mako Jones

When Mako Jones became a grandmother, she knew it was time to let her own light shine.

"My mokopuna deserve to know te reo, no matter how young or old," she says.

"One started kura this year and I have two mokopuna at the kohanga. Because of them, I decided that I should begin to journey back to enhance my reo."

Mako says she needed to "patua te whakama" and get on with the business of speaking to benefit her whanau.

To do this she enrolled on the foundational full immersion Te Reo Māori course at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, the Certificate in Te Pūtaketanga o te Reo.

The Level 4, 36-week programme provided Mako with the calm and encouraging environment she needed to help overcome her shyness.

To follow up, she has taken up the next challenge, a Diploma in Te Aupikitanga ki te Reo Kairangi.

LIke its precursor, this Level 6 course involves learning designed to help students articulate themselves meaningfully in te reo Māori.

"Te Aupikitanga has encouraged me to be confident to stand and kōrero." says the Ngāti Pahauwera weaver.

"It has given me a platform to carry on through the work I do within the community of Taranaki. I use te reo in the raranga programs, to encourage the learner that there is another way to enhance te reo Māori,"

As well as teaching raranga, Mako is also a member of Te Kohikohinga raranga roopu, Te Roopu Raranga Whatu o Aotearoa and active within her kohanga reo whānau.

"With my children I am able to converse with them in te reo. We all speak te reo to each other on our daily ride to kura and kohanga," says Mako.

"It is up to me to teach them what I know about te ao Māori for they are our leaders of the future. This Aupikitanga program is more than I expected, it has been awesome. Tumeke! Ka patu koutou te whakama!"

Published On: 17 Jan, 2017

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.