_WOA7010

Denise Keelan exudes the spirit of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.  

If you watch her in class with her tauira, there’s laughter, engagement, and smiles all round.  

Denise, or Dee as she’s commonly known, has been a kaiako of te reo Māori for more than 14 years and her passion and love for the reo shines through.  

“I always feel privileged to be a part of someone’s journey learning te reo Māori me ōnā tikanga,” she says.  

“I love seeing the confidence and kaha grow within them to kōrero throughout the year.”

Aside from teaching te reo, another of Dee’s many passions is kapa haka and she’ll be taking the stage at Te Matatini with Te Tū Mataora.

She’s been doing kapa haka most of her life but laughs as she says, “my tinana definitely feels it more now.”

“Back in the day I’d just turn up in jandals with a bottle of coke, a belt and some poi.  Nowadays my haka bag consists of running shoes, knee pads, bottles of water, sweat bands, heat rub, words, a change of clothes and Panadol.”

Although Denise is Ngāti Kahungunu and Ngāti Porou through and through, her decision to perform with a Rangitāne rōpū is more about her work whānau, the kaupapa of the rōpū and her own extended paternal whānau also in the rōpū.  

"There are about 10 Te Wānanga o Aotearoa staff in the performing group, as well as part of the support crew.  It's a privilege to be able to perform with my work whānau, a bonus to also be performing with my Keelan whānau in the group and to learn and celebrate the stories and history of the people of Rangitāne."

Dee says she has “always been a kapa haka girl” and has been performing with Te Tū Mataora for the last three years.

She’s been making the trek to Palmerston North for noho most weekends and is now looking forward to welcoming everyone who makes the journey to Heretaunga for the world’s biggest kapa haka competition.

“I really can't wait to watch the performances and I look forward to all the people from everywhere spending time in my hometown, singing about my tupuna and celebrating my stories.”

If there's one thing Denise is not entirely confident about is how many more campaigns remain before she retires to the support crew.

"Ten, 20, who knows, but I'll do it for as long as I'm able... ka mate ururoa!

Published On: 22 Feb, 2017

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.