Pua Phillips and Tuihana Ohia

A familiar face to many at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa will be missing from the end of next week when SME - wellness adviser Tuihana Ohia leaves to take up a new role.

She has worked for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa for more than 16 years – 11 in marketing and five in her current role - and is leaving to take up a wellness role with Australian-based wellness organisation Springday, along with developing her own wellness initiative WHOLE Haumanu delivering WOWshops.

The wellness role includes looking after the wellbeing of all kaimahi within Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and it’s a role Tuihana says she has enjoyed from the first day.

“I’ve loved this job,” she says.

“When I got this role, I told Leesah and Harata ‘thank you’ because it’s unleashed a passion I’ll have for the rest of my life.”

She says the best part of the job has been the people she has worked with and their stories.

“That’s been awesome, so inspiring.”

Pua Phillips – who previously worked with Tuihana on the wellness programme for two years - returns to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa after 11 months away and takes over the role of wellness adviser.

Tuihana says there’s no one else she would have wanted in the role.

“I couldn’t just hand it over to anyone, so I’m really excited Pua is taking over.”

Pua – who won a gold medal in touch at the World Masters Games being held in Auckland – says it’s exciting to be back at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and she looks forward to making her mark.

“I’m just thinking about where Tau Ora can go and what I can bring to Tau Ora,” she says.

“For me, it’s a little bit nerve wracking. There have been so many different leaders for Tau Ora and I’m a little bit nervous about filling those big shoes.”

Published On:

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.