Trades-Umaga

Putting study into the mix when you're working full time is no mean feat, but for Willie Faalili, the challenge was worth it.

Between labouring jobs, helping his family and warehouse work, the 31-year-old completed a Certificate in Applied Technology, majoring in Carpentry with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

Willie says, being a student that still needed to make a living, the level four programme at Ngā Whare Waatea Marae in Māngere, was just the ticket.

"I needed to study in between work hours but I really enjoyed what I was doing and realised that the knowledge I was learning in carpentry had the ability to take me places."

As well as becoming knowledgeable around the health and safety aspects of the building industry - including legislation and compliance - Willie also refined his skills - measuring things correctly, operating power, portable and hand tools - by building a single level, timber-framed relocatable house with his classmates.

"I'm surrounded with family members who are chippies and I've always had those times where I'd give a hand," he says.

"I've learned new skills to use in the future and hopefully I'm able to find employment in this area."

Overall, he says it was worthwhile "big time".

"I really enjoyed the course, it exceeded my expectations and I learned heaps. I met some good people too," he says.

"It was a cool place to learn. A good learning experience."

Published On: 24 May, 2017

Article By: 24 May, 2017

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.