Kaimahi looking for a challenge and a step along the road to a healthier lifestyle have five months to prepare for what has become one of the most popular sporting events on the Māori calendar.
The sixth annual TriMāori event will be held at Lake Karāpiro, Cambridge on November 25.
The TriMāori Charitable trust was established to educate Māori in the health and wellbeing of Māori individuals and their families and last year more than 1000 people took part in one of the events on offer at the lake.
This year, events include an Olympic-length triathlon (1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run), a sprint triathlon (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run), a 3:9:3 triathlon (300m swim, 9km bike, 3km run), a 5km run/walk and a 10km run/walk.
Te Wānanga o Aotearoa wellness programme Tau Ora has a partnership with TriMāori which enables a number of free entries to the event.
With five months until TriMāori kicks off, SME Wellbeing Pua Phillips has provided eight easy tips to get started on your training.
- Take some selfies to accurately track your progress. It's helpful to identify your starting point and then define your goal
- Start small and identify your limits
- Make one change at a time
- Plan out your mornings and have realistic goals for the day
- Overcome your fear of the gym and exercise
- Expect to fall and jump back on
- Be ready for week three, this is the same as hump day during the week
- Look beyond weight loss and think more about lifestyle change
When you are looking at designing a fitness programme, keep these keep points in mind:
- Consider your fitness goals
- Create a balanced routine
- Start low and progress slowly
- Build activity into your daily routine
- Plan to include different activities
- Allow time for recovery
- Put it down on paper
Also remember good nutrition combined with physical activity are an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Your diet can help you reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic diseases and promote an overall healthier lifestyle.
Online registrations for TriMāori 2017 are now open. Contact email@example.com to find out how to register for free.