Tamzin Adam

A Porirua couple learning te reo Māori together have come a long way in a relatively short time but say they still have a long way to go.

Tamzin Maki-Tuara had a couple of years of te reo Māori behind her from soon after she left school but kicked off her current learning with the Te Ara Reo Māori Level 2 programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in 2013.

Her husband Adam enrolled on the Level 4 Te Pūtaketanga o te Reo programme in 2015.

Tamzin progressed through Te Ara Reo Māori Level 4 to the Level 6 Te Aupikitanga ki te Reo Kairangi last year, where she was joined by Adam.

They both plan to tackle the Level 7 Te Pīnakitanga ki te Reo Kairangi next year.

Adam says while he learned some te reo Māori at school, he was never that interested until Tamzin enrolled.

“I learned it at Ōtaki College but that was beca­­use my mum made me do it,” he says.

“I didn’t see the point in it and didn’t care much about it. When I left school I left it behind.”

Tamzin says she took up the challenge of learning te reo Māori when she started work at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“Working here inspired me to do it and we want our kids to be immersed in the reo. We try to make it normal at home and we try to make our babies speak as much te reo as we can.”

The couple say studying together has so far proved a winning combination.

“We bounce off each other and it works really good,” Adam says.

“There are quite a few couple learning together and a lot of our classmates say we’re lucky to have someone to speak with at home. If there’s something I didn’t pick up, she will pick it up.”

Although they’ve advanced a lot since 2013, Tamzin says there’s still some way to go.

“I'm motivated to keep going because we've put a lot into it. It’s a never-ending journey, we’re always learning.”

Published On:

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.

• 31 January 2024

He Huinga Whatukura - A wellness programme for men

In their quest to prioritise men's mental health and well-being, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaimahi have pioneered and introduced a programme known as He Huinga Whatukura.