Manny Seinafofeala in gym

Seeing young tauira grow in confidence and make good decisions is one of the things Manny Seinafofeala enjoys most about his work.

Manny works on the Youth Guarantee fitness programme for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Ōtautahi and brings a wealth of fitness experience with him.

But it’s his own background and the support and encouragement he offers that’s most helpful, he says.

“I’m a positive mentor for them,” he says.

Manny says many tauira come with challenging backgrounds and from tough environments but with good support and mentoring, they can make positive changes.

Manny previously worked for Corrections and says some tauira behave in ways likely to lead to prison.

“I’m seeing things I’ve seen before in prison so I’m having those conversations with the tauira. I share stories with them from my life. I still understand their language so I can empathise with them.”

He supports tauira to make positive changes.

“They come into our environment and they then have an opportunity to be who they can be and who they should be. They have a chance to affect change on themselves, they know the choices they need to make.”

Manny picks up the tauira each morning and drops them home each night and sees big changes in them during the course.

“More in their self-confidence, their ability to be able to communicate. I hold the hand of some more than others but I keep pushing and encouraging them. There is the support there for them.”

Published On:

• 14 April 2021

Weaving communities together through raranga

Talei (Te Whānau a Takimoana) is immersed in her Ngāti Porou roots where she teaches raranga (Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 12 April 2021

Learning te reo Māori never stops

When Dave Coyne was a kid, he knew when the adults were talking about something serious. So he spent a year on a training course immersed in te reo Māori and learning more about te Ao Māori.

• 8 April 2021

The learning never stops for Krystal

Learning te reo Māori has led to Whananaki mum Krystal Worters to expand her knowledge of te Ao Māori even further. She’s just completed an introductory programme to learn more about tikanga Māori.

• 06 April 2021

Good leaders keep learning

Donna Chamberlain hoped to brush up on her leadership skills this year but got more than she hoped for after enrolling at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.