Manny Seinafofeala in gym

Seeing young tauira grow in confidence and make good decisions is one of the things Manny Seinafofeala enjoys most about his work.

Manny works on the Youth Guarantee fitness programme for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Ōtautahi and brings a wealth of fitness experience with him.

But it’s his own background and the support and encouragement he offers that’s most helpful, he says.

“I’m a positive mentor for them,” he says.

Manny says many tauira come with challenging backgrounds and from tough environments but with good support and mentoring, they can make positive changes.

Manny previously worked for Corrections and says some tauira behave in ways likely to lead to prison.

“I’m seeing things I’ve seen before in prison so I’m having those conversations with the tauira. I share stories with them from my life. I still understand their language so I can empathise with them.”

He supports tauira to make positive changes.

“They come into our environment and they then have an opportunity to be who they can be and who they should be. They have a chance to affect change on themselves, they know the choices they need to make.”

Manny picks up the tauira each morning and drops them home each night and sees big changes in them during the course.

“More in their self-confidence, their ability to be able to communicate. I hold the hand of some more than others but I keep pushing and encouraging them. There is the support there for them.”

Published On:

• 18 October 2021

The hard work starts at home

Working with young people in Ōtāhuhu, Elaine Poutoa has seen first-hand the issues they face. Poverty, crime, bullying, homelessness, self-harm, Elaine has seen what it does to young people and wanted to do something about it.

• 22 October, 2021

Industry News

(TITO) Update | Workforce Development Councils | Te Taumata Aronui | Centres of Vocational Excellence | Regional Skills Leadership Groups

• 22 October, 2021

Te Pūkenga Partnership Update

Since the signing of the memorandum of understanding earlier this year between Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and Te Pūkenga the two organisations have been meeting regularly to colloborate on a number of workstreams in relation to RoVE.

• 22 October, 2021

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Chair appointed to Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning subsidiary

Vanessa Eparaima, chair of the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Council Te Mana Whakahaere, has been appointed to the Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning Limited (WBL).