Adrienne Spratt hand woven trenchers

Adrienne Spratt may have just made a whole lot more work for herself.

The Papaioea kaiako surprised her Maunga Kura Toi – Raranga tauira at their recent graduation by capping them with hand woven trenchers, rather than the traditional academic cap.

Creating a woven trencher was something Adrienne had thought about for years but never got around to doing anything about.

“This year I was questioned by my tauira about whether they had to wear the gowns. They wanted to wear their own kākahu. That was something I’d thought about too. I’ve been through all these graduations over the years and a couple of years ago I thought about the process of being a Māori organisation and using this western regalia.”

She carried out some rangahau on capping and learned the gowns and hoods were not compulsory for graduation. She also questioned whether the trencher used at graduation had to be the traditional variety, with a four-sided flat top and tassel in the middle.

Adrienne had to create a prototype woven trencher and have it approved by Te Puna Mātauranga before it was allowed to be used in the recent Papaioea graduation.

Her tauira had no idea they would be capped in such a unique way and “they were all blown away,” she says.

Adrienne’s design for this trencher is quite unique, with nothing like it seen before.

“Whilst on annual leave over the Christmas break many ideas were circling in my head and my hands were itching to have a play with this idea. It took a bit of working out to create them but I came up with a plan and it all fell together. It takes me about six hours to make one. I made one for each of my students because they were such an awesome group of wāhine.”

She says the unique pōtae created quite a reaction at graduation and while she’s not sure if she’ll be making trenchers for her next class, she’d be happy if they became the standard for degree level graduations throughout Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“It was a point of difference and quite a cool way to acknowledge our tauira - particularly our raranga tauira.”

Published On:

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.