Sheryl Waru | 2018 Brand campaign | TWoA

Enrolling in an adult teaching degree at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is what taught Sheryl Waru the value of a good education.

“Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is structured around you and the ‘ah-ha’ moments are simply your pathway to finding new and innovative ways to showcase your skills and to learn new ones. It’s here that I learned the true value of teaching and learning,” the Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngāti Rereahu mother says.

“Tauira Success is certainly a mantra that I used throughout my journey. I filled my kete with some good resources and infused this learning into my own teaching space. Learning is not just done in a traditional classroom space anymore, it’s really about the delivery and engagement that keeps this space moving.”

During the three-year course, Sheryl faced many challenges, including long trips from her home in Auckland to Rotorua, where the programme was based, and juggling her responsibilities as a working mother. But her biggest challenge was when her daughter passed away in 2017. 

“Our world changed. I changed, her dad changed, but our love for her remains unchanged. She was my best friend, my mentor and inspiration to continue into the world of technology.”

Support from her kaiako helped get her through the toughest times.

“Kaiako at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa manaaki their tauira and I was in awe of their strength, integrity and the time they put into my learning, keeping me on task to make sure I crossed that stage to graduate,” she says.

Sheryl crossed that stage at a graduation ceremony in Rotorua in mid-2018.

“My whānau were there in full force, so the long travel, hard work and support, it all paid off. I had hoped to make my daughter proud. Even though she’s in heaven, I know she crossed that stage with me. Sometimes life throws you curve balls and the automatic reaction is to step away. That was a humbling experience.”

Sheryl’s academic transcript - which now includes He Korowai Ākonga – Bachelor of Education (Adult) along with a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership – show she loves teaching as much as she loves learning. 

And she is doing that with the organisation that gave her those teaching skills, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. Sheryl began teaching the Diploma in Adult Education in 2015 and currently teaches the Certificate in Adult Tertiary Teaching in Auckland. 

Sheryl is the latest person to be profiled in the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa brand campaign.

Brand manager Monica McQueen says the campaign has received positive feedback so far.

“We’ve been inspired by the stories we’re hearing about how our kaiako go above and beyond for their tauira and look forward to sharing more of those stories in the coming weeks,” she says.

“The tauira we’ve profiled so far are unanimous in their praise of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and the aroha they receive during their studies. It’s what sets us apart as an organisation.”

Published On:

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.