Sheryl Waru | 2018 Brand campaign | TWoA

Enrolling in an adult teaching degree at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is what taught Sheryl Waru the value of a good education.

“Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is structured around you and the ‘ah-ha’ moments are simply your pathway to finding new and innovative ways to showcase your skills and to learn new ones. It’s here that I learned the true value of teaching and learning,” the Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngāti Rereahu mother says.

“Tauira Success is certainly a mantra that I used throughout my journey. I filled my kete with some good resources and infused this learning into my own teaching space. Learning is not just done in a traditional classroom space anymore, it’s really about the delivery and engagement that keeps this space moving.”

During the three-year course, Sheryl faced many challenges, including long trips from her home in Auckland to Rotorua, where the programme was based, and juggling her responsibilities as a working mother. But her biggest challenge was when her daughter passed away in 2017. 

“Our world changed. I changed, her dad changed, but our love for her remains unchanged. She was my best friend, my mentor and inspiration to continue into the world of technology.”

Support from her kaiako helped get her through the toughest times.

“Kaiako at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa manaaki their tauira and I was in awe of their strength, integrity and the time they put into my learning, keeping me on task to make sure I crossed that stage to graduate,” she says.

Sheryl crossed that stage at a graduation ceremony in Rotorua in mid-2018.

“My whānau were there in full force, so the long travel, hard work and support, it all paid off. I had hoped to make my daughter proud. Even though she’s in heaven, I know she crossed that stage with me. Sometimes life throws you curve balls and the automatic reaction is to step away. That was a humbling experience.”

Sheryl’s academic transcript - which now includes He Korowai Ākonga – Bachelor of Education (Adult) along with a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership – show she loves teaching as much as she loves learning. 

And she is doing that with the organisation that gave her those teaching skills, Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. Sheryl began teaching the Diploma in Adult Education in 2015 and currently teaches the Certificate in Adult Tertiary Teaching in Auckland. 

Sheryl is the latest person to be profiled in the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa brand campaign.

Brand manager Monica McQueen says the campaign has received positive feedback so far.

“We’ve been inspired by the stories we’re hearing about how our kaiako go above and beyond for their tauira and look forward to sharing more of those stories in the coming weeks,” she says.

“The tauira we’ve profiled so far are unanimous in their praise of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and the aroha they receive during their studies. It’s what sets us apart as an organisation.”

Published On:

• 16 May 2024

Kawerau local lives out childhood dream of learning to weave

As a young girl, Barbara Wheto always had a fascination with harakeke and the art of weaving. But growing up in an era where being Māori and Māori culture were scorned upon, she was never encouraged to explore the art form.

• 09 May 2024

Wānanga scholarship supports tauira in completing Master of Architecture thesis

The 2023 Dr. Buck Nin Memorial Scholarship recipient for Māori contemporary art was 23-year-old Antonia van Sitter, who put the funds towards completing her Master of Architecture thesis.

• 09 May 2024

Rodney Whanga, Te Matatini Scholarship award winner

Mahia te mahi hei oranga whakatipu, hei oranga tuku iho mō te iwi, ahakoa ngā piere nuku o te wā. Ko Rodney Whanga o Tainui waka, nō ngā iwi o Ngāti Maniapoto me Waikato te whakatinanatanga o te kōrero nei.

• 08 May 2024

University Associate Professor committed to reo Māori journey

Sondra Bacharach is no stranger to education. She currently teaches a university philosophy programme in Aotearoa and has experienced classroom environments as a student within the American, French and German education systems.