Te Ururoa Powhiri

Te Taiurungi Te Ururora Flavell was welcomed to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa on Monday with a rousing haka pōwhiri at Te Puna Mātauranga.

About 300 whānau, iwi and friends delivered Te Ururoa to his new role, while hundreds of kaimahi worked to ensure the day went without a hitch.

While rain threatened throughout the day, it held off for the duration of the ceremony.

Te Ururoa says the haka pōwhiri was a special moment.

“I was humbled by the warm welcome by Te Wānanga o Aotearoa as I enter a new part of my life,” he said.

“And I was humbled by the number of people that came with me to support me in my new role and I trust the people who supported and spoke about me will be proud of what I achieve in this role.”

Te Mana Whakahaere chair Vanessa Eparaima says it was the passion and desire to work for the people and his commitment to hard work and high standards which secured Te Ururoa the role.

“These priorities and attributes are essential in confronting some major requirements and challenges for our organisation,” she says.

“I lay the challenge for you to do everything in your power to ensure that you help guide our wānanga to the next level, to truly move forward to capture the massive potential we have, to engage and enhance the education and employment outcomes for our people and all New Zealanders.”

Te Ururoa was straight into his mahi at the conclusion of the haka pōwhiri, helping kaimahi stack chairs, wash dishes and tidy up. He began day two in his role by attending the regular 7am gym workout with Te Puna Mātauranga kaimahi.

The haka pōwhiri was livestreamed on the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Facebook page, with more than 250 people watching it live.

Watch a welcome video from Te Taiurungi here:  https://youtu.be/OPullCccu3I

Published On:

• 20 July, 2021

Forestry course helps young father turn life around

Charlie Wallace has previously had some struggles, including minor brushes with the law, but has turned his life around after completing a forestry course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Rotorua.

• 19 July 2021

Kōwhaiwhai – a lens into te ao Māori

Toni uses kōwhaiwhai as a lens for her tauira (students) to see te ao Māori on the Toi Maruata (the certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) that she teaches.

• 9 July, 2021

Rangatahi now aiming for military careers

Two Waikato-Tainui rangatahi from troubled backgrounds now have military careers firmly in their sights.

• 7 July 2021

Keita keeps learning to benefit her business

After running a successful business with no formal business education behind her, Keita Miru got to a stage where she wanted to upskill herself and fill a few gaps she’d identified in her business plan.