Te Ururoa Powhiri

Te Taiurungi Te Ururora Flavell was welcomed to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa on Monday with a rousing haka pōwhiri at Te Puna Mātauranga.

About 300 whānau, iwi and friends delivered Te Ururoa to his new role, while hundreds of kaimahi worked to ensure the day went without a hitch.

While rain threatened throughout the day, it held off for the duration of the ceremony.

Te Ururoa says the haka pōwhiri was a special moment.

“I was humbled by the warm welcome by Te Wānanga o Aotearoa as I enter a new part of my life,” he said.

“And I was humbled by the number of people that came with me to support me in my new role and I trust the people who supported and spoke about me will be proud of what I achieve in this role.”

Te Mana Whakahaere chair Vanessa Eparaima says it was the passion and desire to work for the people and his commitment to hard work and high standards which secured Te Ururoa the role.

“These priorities and attributes are essential in confronting some major requirements and challenges for our organisation,” she says.

“I lay the challenge for you to do everything in your power to ensure that you help guide our wānanga to the next level, to truly move forward to capture the massive potential we have, to engage and enhance the education and employment outcomes for our people and all New Zealanders.”

Te Ururoa was straight into his mahi at the conclusion of the haka pōwhiri, helping kaimahi stack chairs, wash dishes and tidy up. He began day two in his role by attending the regular 7am gym workout with Te Puna Mātauranga kaimahi.

The haka pōwhiri was livestreamed on the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Facebook page, with more than 250 people watching it live.

Watch a welcome video from Te Taiurungi here:  https://youtu.be/OPullCccu3I

Published On:

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.