Latoia Sasa-Tepania

The spotlight is on Bachelor of Adult Education graduate and Te Waka Hiringa Master’s tauira Latoia Sasa-Tepania, who is a finalist for this year’s Waiata Māori Music Awards. 

The singer-songwriter recording artist – who goes by the stage-name La Coco - has been nominated for two awards; Best Māori pop artist and Best Māori urban album, for her debut solo EP Love and Other Things Pt1 and Pt2.

Latoia - who also works as a secondary school teacher – is up against former award recipients Rob Ruha and Troy Kingi and she couldn’t be happier to be in such esteemed company.

“It’s an amazing feeling to be recognised for your hard work, recognised for your talent, and especially recognised by your community,” the Māngere resident says.

She first heard about the Hasting-based Waiata Māori Music Awards two years ago and made it a goal to one day enter. She has also entered the Auckland-based Pacific Music Awards and was nominated in three categories the first time she entered. This year she performed at the awards and was nominated for Best Female Artist, missing out to Ladi 6.

Her five-track EP, Love and Other Things, is about relationships and draws on her gospel vocals with reflections of jazz and hip hop thanks to producer Dee Letoa.

“I feel blessed to have been brought up with the best of both worlds as a Samoan Māori woman,” she says.

“Wherever I go I represent two cultures, but I have always wanted to find a special platform to represent my whānau, hapū and tribe.”

Latoia initially enrolled in the Certificate of Māori Performing Arts music programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa when she was 22 and says it was a great move.

“My experience was an awesome, amazing experience and I say that because of the whānau atmosphere of learning, where you come into the space and you know everyone. They helped me understand what it is I can do, to push boundaries and change up the traditional.”

Given her background, it’s no surprise that her Masters in Applied Indigenous Knowledge rangahau will also involve music and young people. But while she is busy working and studying, she is also recording.

Her upcoming sophomore EP Out of Time, has a new sound and she plans to enter her new music into the Tui Music Awards as well as the industry’s premier song writing award, the Silver Scrolls, by 2021.

“That’s a goal definitely. That’s my graduation year and so I’d like it to be bigger than big, you know. One celebration after another.”

Love and Other Things is available on Spotify and can be downloaded from iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/artist/la-coco/947494927

Published On:

• 13 October 2021

Building better lives

Gisela Torres Munoz came to Aotearoa to find a better life for her children, and now she’s teaching others to get a better life for themselves.

• 13 October, 2021

The art of doing the dishes

When Victor Te Paa started studying toi (art) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, he quickly learned his place, and it wasn’t on the end of a paintbrush.

• 11 October 2021

Policing close to home works for Hannah

Becoming a police officer fulfilled a life-long desire for Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo. Hannah completed the programme in 2017 and was accepted into Police College in Porirua. After graduating, she chose to work at Ōtāhuhu Police station.

• 08 October 2021

Taking Esports to the schools of Aotearoa

Max Lawson wants to take competitive online gaming or Esports into more schools around Aotearoa.