Maea

Seventeen-year-old Maea Summers likes helping people and she’s working with the Waikato-based Youth Services team at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to help find the best way for her to do that professionally.

Maea (Waikato-Tanui) was referred to the team earlier this year after leaving Cambridge High School because she says she was only turning up to eat her lunch.

“None of the subjects interested me. They weren’t really my thing.”

She self-enrolled at a level 4 health and well-being foundation course at Wintec to help her think about what she wanted to do. But she found it wasn’t enough for her and, after discussing it with her Youth Services facilitator Nico Manocha, she also started “shadowing” him at the office to learn more about how social services works. She’s now ended up starting a formal 200 hours placement at Youth Services’ Raroera campus office in Hamilton as part of her Wintec course requirements.

“Everyone here is very friendly, very welcoming to me. I feel part of the team here. It’s been really good for me.”

Successes have included signing up three 16-year-old clients on a visit to the Western Community Centre with Nico.

“The practical experience with Youth Services is helping me be ready for a lot of the stuff at Wintec. I learn practically, not just by books and writing, so getting out and doing it helps my understanding.”

While she’s still not exactly sure what she wants to do, the experience with Youth Services is certainly helping her think things through.

One thing she is clear on is a desire to learn more te reo, which she describes as “my language”, after taking some initial steps on that front.

“I’m certainly interested in doing more te reo at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in future.”

Published On: 15 July, 2019

Article By: Stephen Ward

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.