Maea

Seventeen-year-old Maea Summers likes helping people and she’s working with the Waikato-based Youth Services team at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to help find the best way for her to do that professionally.

Maea (Waikato-Tanui) was referred to the team earlier this year after leaving Cambridge High School because she says she was only turning up to eat her lunch.

“None of the subjects interested me. They weren’t really my thing.”

She self-enrolled at a level 4 health and well-being foundation course at Wintec to help her think about what she wanted to do. But she found it wasn’t enough for her and, after discussing it with her Youth Services facilitator Nico Manocha, she also started “shadowing” him at the office to learn more about how social services works. She’s now ended up starting a formal 200 hours placement at Youth Services’ Raroera campus office in Hamilton as part of her Wintec course requirements.

“Everyone here is very friendly, very welcoming to me. I feel part of the team here. It’s been really good for me.”

Successes have included signing up three 16-year-old clients on a visit to the Western Community Centre with Nico.

“The practical experience with Youth Services is helping me be ready for a lot of the stuff at Wintec. I learn practically, not just by books and writing, so getting out and doing it helps my understanding.”

While she’s still not exactly sure what she wants to do, the experience with Youth Services is certainly helping her think things through.

One thing she is clear on is a desire to learn more te reo, which she describes as “my language”, after taking some initial steps on that front.

“I’m certainly interested in doing more te reo at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in future.”

Published On: 15 July, 2019

Article By: Stephen Ward

• 26 November 2021

Rongoā study opens up whole new world | News and Events | Te Wānanga o Aotearoa

The study of traditional Māori medicine or rongoā has been providing Te Wānanga o Aotearoa students in Tauranga Moana with more than just a whole new range of practical skills.

• 24 November 2021

Lockdown lessons

Lessons learned from lockdowns in 2020 have helped Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako prepare themselves and their tauira for this year’s extended period of learning online.

• 23 November 2021

Weaving whānau connections through raranga

Elisa Graham was adopted and raised by a Pākehā family. She’s found that studying raranga (weaving) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has helped her bridge the gap with her Māori heritage.

• 22 November 2021

Spreading Māori knowledge for teachers

Tauranga kindergarten teacher Toia Palmer plans to use her own teaching experiences and qualifications gained at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to support other early childhood teachers to grow their understanding and application of kaupapa Māori.