Foodtruck

What started out as a simple idea to make a little extra cash selling donuts at the market has turned into a successful foodtruck venture for Kaitaia couple Sarah and Tokoa Aumata.

Sarah began the venture several years ago and while her cooking proved popular, she had a lot to learn about running a food business.

“By the third week, the lady who runs the market, she asked me if I had a certificate, a food licence. And I thought ‘what’s that?’. I was oblivious to it eh,” Sarah says.

“So I had to find out how to get a licence.”

That involved the long process of having her home kitchen certified, and that’s when she came up with the business name, Cook Island Māori.

“When the council came to verify the kitchen, they said I needed a business name and that’s the first thing that popped into my head. Because he’s Cook Island, I’m Māori.”

It’s also when she decided to learn more about running a business and to buy a food caravan, rather than continue selling kai from boxes.

“I didn’t want to be in debt, because I don’t like that. So we talked and decided we’d just take the plunge and go into debt for the caravan and it was worth it.”

She also enrolled in the Certificate in Small Business and Project Management Course at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kaitaia.

“I thought, maybe that’s what I need, because I wasn’t supposed to be in business, it was just to make extra money. It’s really great when you have a great tutor behind you, like Valerie West. I learned so many things.”

She also completed the Certificate in Money Management programme and says it was “awesome”.

“I’m good at money, but we had forecasting and I’d never done any forecasting, and I didn’t even know about spreadsheets and how much I spend on the donuts, the amount of flour I use, all that kind of thing, I’d never broken it down.”

She says the course also taught her about paperwork and working online.

“Val keeps pressing in to me, do it on the computer. But I don’t like the computer, I’ve got a laptop but I don’t like it but finally I’m actually doing all my forecasting, everything on spreadsheets now, and I love it,” she says.

“And that’s how I ended up being in business. That’s what Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has done for me. It’s an awesome place to study, I love it, we’re like an intimate family.”

Published On: 19 January, 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 8 March 2021

From curtains, clothing and costumes comes creativity

Nephi Tupaea won the Supreme Award for costume design at Auckland’s Pasifika Festival in the early 90s and is now back in Heretaunga studying towards a Diploma in Indigenous and Māori Art at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 26 February, 2021

Kanorau Digital to help digitally excluded New Zealanders

One in five New Zealanders lacks the skills to safely use the internet for online banking and grocery shopping or don’t know how to download apps on a mobile phone, a report shows.

• 22 February, 2021

New forestry course offers excellent job prospects

Given the strong demand for workers in the Tairāwhiti forestry sector, a new course from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa offers graduates extremely healthy job prospects, says course kaiako (teacher) Sonny Hitaua.

• 02 March 2021

Reconnecting with te ao Māori through tikanga

A mainstay of champion kapa haka Te Waka Huia for most of her life, Pīmia won the coveted title of Manukura Wahine in 2017. Off the stage, Pīmia teaches Te Hapūtanga o te ao Tikanga at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Gisborne.