Desiree Moat-Rangikataua

Desiree Moat-Rangikataua cringes when people say the art form of raranga is “just weaving”.  

“Absolutely not. It’s a part of us and who we are - it’s our culture,” says the 29-year-old mother of two of Ngāti Tuwharetoa and Ngāti Kahungunu. 

“Without raranga we wouldn’t have been able to clothe ourselves, or have whāriki to sleep on or the baskets we need to carry or serve our kai in.” 

“But more than that, it (raranga) actually tells a story much like our whakairo (carving) does or painting does. It purveys knowledge.” 

Desiree returned to study raranga on the Kāwai Raupapa Level 4 programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Heretaunga (Hastings), having studied the art form seven years previously. 

Tauira (students) on the programme learn mahi raranga, whatu, tāniko, tukutuku and working with different fibres.
They learn various toi (art) techniques and practices through a number of project-based tasks.  
These projects teach them the creative processes involved to complete their work and the planning skills to manage their time.  
Desiree comes from a whānau in Taupō that is steeped in kapa haka and te reo Māori but she says few know about raranga.

“It (raranga) was calling me to come back. It’s my connection to Papatūānuku (the earth mother) and I want to take this kaupapa back home to my people.”  

“Not many of my people at home know how to weave or the kaupapa behind kākahu and whāriki.

“There are many variations of cloaks, I would like people to be able to tell the difference between them. Enrolling on the course has already and will continue to teach me the differences and then I can share with my people.” 

Click here to find out more about our toi Māori programmes.

Published On: 18 March 2021

Article By: James Ihaka

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.

• 09 December 2021

Don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture

Cydne Price has a message for anyone studying Toi Māori: don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture.