Lynda’s Log House, a guest house in the hills around Kaitaia

Coming from an artistic and teaching background, business wasn’t something Lynda Meads thought she would be attracted to. 

But when she opened her home to paying visitors she knew it would be handy to know more about running a business. 

Lynda operates Lynda’s Log House, a guest house in the hills around Kaitaia, and enrolled in the Level 4 Certificate in Small Business and Project Management programme at the Kaitaia campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa to help her understand more about successfully running a business. 

“I know the tutor Val (West), and she said come and do the business course, it’s free, and I thought wow, that sounds cool and so I did it. I find it interesting and creative,” she says. 

Along with her accommodation business, Lynda also plans to develop a business selling her art. 

“So I’ve been learning to use the ideas from the course doing Lynda’s Art, because we had to do a business plan, a proper one, then I just shared it with the accommodation,” she says. 

“It’s the same principle all the time, you’ve got to have your vision and your ideas and then you write it down. It’s good writing it down, a lot of businesses don’t work because they don’t write it down.

Then you’ve got to do promotion, and research and all that, it’s really good.” 

To further enhance her skills, Lynda also enrolled in the Certificate in Money Management programme and says that helped her focus on the bottom line. 

“That made me think numbers,” she says. 

“You had to think of things like percentages and ratios, not airy-fairy dreams and goals and ideas, you have to have it right.” 

“The course covers everything from what your attitudes are towards money and how the way you were brought up contributes to that and it teaches you things like budgetting, insurances, wealth building, investments, it just covers everything. I should have done it before.” 

She has enjoyed the learning and getting to know her fellow students. 

“I like the networking and finding out what everyone else is doing, that was one of the best things, you can pick everyone’s brains. I’m learning to try and not do lots and lots of businesses, so I’m concentrating on one. I’ve doubled my money and doing less work, and it's passive income and that’s my ultimate.” 

Click here to find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 29 March 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.

• 09 December 2021

Don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture

Cydne Price has a message for anyone studying Toi Māori: don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture.