Dave Coyne's te reo Māori journey continues

When Dave Coyne was a kid, he knew when the adults were talking about something serious. 

“I grew up in an age where the reo was spoken by my old people when the topics were very important, so they spoke the reo for the big kaupapa so we couldn’t understand,” he says. 

“We all grew up knowing things like ‘haere ki waho’, ‘haere mai ki te kai’, ‘haere atu’, all that kind of stuff,” he says. 

“But we couldn’t have an in-depth conversation.” 

That started to change when he moved to Whangārei, where his mother is from. 

“All our old people were passing away and our kaumātua were starting to encourage us to learn the reo.” 

So he spent a year on a training course immersed in te reo Māori and learning more about te Ao Māori. 

“That was my introduction to my fluency in te reo Māori and I’ve been on that journey ever since.” 

That journey has continued in 2020 with Dave enrolling on the Level 6 Te Aupikitanga ki te Reo Kairangi programme at the Whangārei campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

He says the course has been challenging but hugely enjoyable. 

“It’s been good for me, it’s pulled me on and on,” he says. 

Dave – Ngāti Hau – works as a cultural advisor for Māori youth and development organisation Te Ora Hou and says the course has made him better at his job. 

“We do a lot of pōwhiri and mihi whakatau where I lead and coming to the wānanga has enabled me to extend myself and be able to perform my role with confidence,” and he’s enjoyed learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

“I like the wairua that the wānanga portrays,” he says. 

“We talk about a safe learning environment, and it is, but it’s challenging learning in a safe environment. You’re never made to feel inferior, there’s always that belief, it’s a place for me to be able to grow.” 

He says the wairua Māori at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is what makes it different to other institutions, as does the style of learning. 

“It has a flavour that’s uniquely Māori, that’s my experience.  The wānanga has people that are Māori and understand the concepts of Māori.” 

“It’s not only the night classes, it’s the whole noho marae at the weekend, that’s where the learning happens, and you learn about each other and there’s those magic moments that only can happen when you’re at a noho and that’s what Te Wānanga o Aotearoa provides.” 

“My kaumatua said you never stop learning, so I haven’t stopped learning.”

Find out more about our Māori language programmes.

Published On: 12 April 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 05 May 2021

Kalo’s catching her dreams

The first year after a car crash which left her in a wheelchair was tough for Kalolaine Manako. She enrolled in the Level 4 Manaaki Tangata Certificate in Bicultural Social Services programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. And it’s changed her life.

• 04 May 2021

Learning te reo helps Ellen find her place

Ellen Hall started learning te reo Māori to support her family but has found she is now on her own journey of self-discovery. “This is my third year of study. I initially came to support my husband - he’s Māori - but he works shift work so it’s been too hard for him to keep going at this stage,” she says. “But it’s a real community and you become very much a part of it and feel welcome. I’ve got two kids so it’s really important to both of us that they can learn te reo. That’s kind of what drew me and then it becomes part of your own journey. You’re doing it for them but it becomes about yourself too. “I’m Pākehā but it’s important for me to learn the language for me,” she says. “And it’s also the privilege of learning it because it is such a beautiful language. I think no matter what your ethnicity, when you go through the journey of learning te reo you learn about te Ao Māori and you learn about yourself.” Ellen is enrolled in the Level 5 Te Rōnakitanga ki te Reo Kairangi programme at the Ngāmotu campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and says te reo wasn’t something she grew up with. “I grew up in Egmont Village and it just wasn’t part of life, it wasn’t something I was familiar with,” she says. “I think part of the journey has been learning what my place is in learning te reo Māori and I think there is a place for Pākehā to learn te reo Māori and being able to awhi and tautoko to tangata whenua. I think it can only be a good thing, to be supportive and be included in that journey.” She says learning te reo has changed the way she views the world. “It’s very humbling to learn this language and I feel more compassionate, I guess. You’ve got to be compassionate to yourself when you learn something new and when it’s hard. But the support and awhi you get from your other tauira and your kaiako and just how much they’ve embraced me makes me feel really part of it.” That feeling of whanaungatanga is an important part of learning at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and Ellen says it’s made her language journey much easier. “You’re always apprehensive about the unknown, like you don’t know anyone, but I’ve only ever been welcomed and when I come here, sometimes it’s such a mish. You’ve got two kids and you’re trying to get them everywhere but then you come here and when we do karakia and waiata, it’s such a special time, I love it,” she says. “You come to this place and when you come in here, that’s the kaupapa and the people here are so supportive.” That support applies to all students and Ellen says anyone contemplating learning te reo should go for it. “I think its building momentum and in five years’ time hopefully there are more options for people to learn te reo, but just be open to learning and prepared to be humbled. Just have faith and keep coming and keep learning. I’m pushing myself to keep going so it’s haere tonu, haere tonu.”

• 03 May 2021

Tikanga - A window into te ao Māori

Te Whāinga o Te Ao Tikanga offers people a window “to look in to Te Ao Māori” (The Māori World). The 20-week programme is open to anyone wanting the tools to not only better engage with tangata whenua (people of the land) but to understand the makeup of the community they work and live in.

• 22 April 2021

Adult teaching not just for teachers

When it comes to teaching, Sheryl Waru knows more than most, and there’s nothing she loves more than passing on her knowledge to others.