Talei Teariki - Raranga Kaiako

Talei Teariki grew up with two clothes lines at her Rotorua home – one for her family’s clothes, the other for piupiu.

“My parents, uncles and grandparents made piupiu in the late 70s and 80s and there was the constant smell of the wai (mordant preservative) and paru (natural dye) through our house,” she says.

Talei always had a yearning to learn more about raranga knowing her whānau made piupiu for kapa haka groups and hearing about her mum doing raranga demonstrations in Whakarewarewa - but found few people willing to share their weaving knowledge.

Her first experience outside of piupiu was weaving whiri pikau (flax backpacks) as a teenager.

Talei (Te Whānau a Takimoana) is immersed in her Ngāti Porou roots where she teaches raranga (Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I did a reo course here (in Gisborne) and I met Erin Rauna, we had to do a presentation on Horouta waka. I did a plain presentation and she came in with this amazing raranga piece and I was mesmerised.”

“Erin became a kaiako not long after this and I signed up to study with her straight away. She was an excellent kaiako. Her teaching style is unlike any other, she would physically show you how to do things.”

Talei studied under Erin’s tutelage for the following two years and had a few more years learning by her side. They’re now work colleagues.

Talei’s classes see her travel between marae around Ngāti Porou, where most of her tauira are from.

“My passion is mahi raranga, though the best parts are  “the light bulb moments” when tauira click, their faces light up.”

“It’s great because we are making our taonga accessible to rural communities and teaching and learning together.”

“I’m connecting with our iwi, our whānau, our tipuna. I’m learning as much as everyone else.”

Learn more about our raranga and toi Māori programmes.

Published On: 14 April 2021

Article By: James Ihaka

• 16 June 2021

Encouraging the next generation of police officers

To prepare for the Police Recruitment process, Alaia enrolled in the NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Police Preparation) course at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere and says it opened his eyes to a new way of learning.

• 15 June 2021

Mātauranga is the gift that keeps on giving

Erin says she always held a longing for Toi-Māori – and a fascination for the art of raranga (weaving) - and the amazing things that could be made from harakeke (flax) and the refined, silky product within it, muka.

• 14 June 2021

Ruta helps herself and her community

Ruta Aloisio knows there are plenty of issues that need dealing with in her Ōtara community and got to the stage where she wanted to do something to help.

• 10 June 2021

Loving the country that loves you through te reo Māori

Madison, said she wanted to give back to the country that gave her a home “and to keep up with what my kids were learning at school”. She did this by learning te reo Māori.