Talei Teariki - Raranga Kaiako

Talei Teariki grew up with two clothes lines at her Rotorua home – one for her family’s clothes, the other for piupiu.

“My parents, uncles and grandparents made piupiu in the late 70s and 80s and there was the constant smell of the wai (mordant preservative) and paru (natural dye) through our house,” she says.

Talei always had a yearning to learn more about raranga knowing her whānau made piupiu for kapa haka groups and hearing about her mum doing raranga demonstrations in Whakarewarewa - but found few people willing to share their weaving knowledge.

Her first experience outside of piupiu was weaving whiri pikau (flax backpacks) as a teenager.

Talei (Te Whānau a Takimoana) is immersed in her Ngāti Porou roots where she teaches raranga (Toi Maruata - Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I did a reo course here (in Gisborne) and I met Erin Rauna, we had to do a presentation on Horouta waka. I did a plain presentation and she came in with this amazing raranga piece and I was mesmerised.”

“Erin became a kaiako not long after this and I signed up to study with her straight away. She was an excellent kaiako. Her teaching style is unlike any other, she would physically show you how to do things.”

Talei studied under Erin’s tutelage for the following two years and had a few more years learning by her side. They’re now work colleagues.

Talei’s classes see her travel between marae around Ngāti Porou, where most of her tauira are from.

“My passion is mahi raranga, though the best parts are  “the light bulb moments” when tauira click, their faces light up.”

“It’s great because we are making our taonga accessible to rural communities and teaching and learning together.”

“I’m connecting with our iwi, our whānau, our tipuna. I’m learning as much as everyone else.”

Learn more about our raranga and toi Māori programmes.

Published On: 14 April 2021

Article By: James Ihaka

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.

• 09 December 2021

Don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture

Cydne Price has a message for anyone studying Toi Māori: don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture.