Waimiere Taoho

Waimiere Taoho says she’s loving being a kaiako after taking a leap of faith to pursue her dream.

The 29-year-old, of Ngāi Tūhoe descent, finished her three-year Bachelor of Education (Primary) degree at TWoA’s Waiwhero campus in Rotorua last year. She’s due to attend a graduation ceremony on Friday 14 May at the Distinction Hotel, 390 Fenton Street. More than 200 tauira (students) are eligible to graduate from Certificate, Diploma and Degree programmes.

Waimiere is now team teaching a new entrant class at Pukeroa Oruawhata – Rotorua Primary School. It’s the culmination of a long-held desire to shift into teaching.

“Being a mum of two I wasn't sure if I could afford to give up full-time employment to go and study. So I always just put it on the back burner and focused on my mahi at the time,” says Waimiere.

But when her dad passed away in 2017 she decided to finally take the leap, as life was too short to be stuck in the wrong job, “and it was the best choice I've made”.

Waimiere’s new role can be stressful somtimes “but I love it because every day is different and I work with an awesome group of staff and children”.

Her focus now is working towards becoming a fully registered teacher and continuing to learn and grow in the profession.

“I hope to one day take on more responsibilities, maybe a leadership or management role, but I have a long way to go until then.”

Waimiere says studying at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was “awesome”.

“I don't know if I would have made it to the end if I had chosen to study anywhere else.”

She says she’s made lifelong friends at TWoA and the kaiako were very supportive and understanding.

“They were always approachable and willing to help if you were stuck or didn't understand certain requirements.

“The most valued lesson I have taken away from my kaiako at TWoA is that good teachers constantly reflect and inquire into their own practice, always looking for new ways to improve and support their learners.”

To others thinking about pursuing study to get ahead she says: “If you are truly passionate about something, take the leap regardless of your situation. I'm not saying that it was easy, and you might go through some struggles for a little bit, but it's definitely worth it in the end.”

Find out more about our education programmes

Published On: 11 May, 2021

Article By: Stephen Ward

• 16 June 2021

Encouraging the next generation of police officers

To prepare for the Police Recruitment process, Alaia enrolled in the NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Police Preparation) course at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere and says it opened his eyes to a new way of learning.

• 15 June 2021

Mātauranga is the gift that keeps on giving

Erin says she always held a longing for Toi-Māori – and a fascination for the art of raranga (weaving) - and the amazing things that could be made from harakeke (flax) and the refined, silky product within it, muka.

• 14 June 2021

Ruta helps herself and her community

Ruta Aloisio knows there are plenty of issues that need dealing with in her Ōtara community and got to the stage where she wanted to do something to help.

• 10 June 2021

Loving the country that loves you through te reo Māori

Madison, said she wanted to give back to the country that gave her a home “and to keep up with what my kids were learning at school”. She did this by learning te reo Māori.