Erin Rauna: Kaiako - Ngā Mahi ā te Whare Pora and the Diploma in Māori and Indigenous Art

Gifting her first kete to her grandmother revealed things about her family history that Erin Rauna never knew.

“I gifted my first kete to my nanny and from that came many things,” says Erin (Ngāti Kahungunu).

“I found out that my great grandmothers were weavers, up until then my nanny had never, ever shared that with me.”

Erin, who teaches Ngā Mahi ā te Whare Pora and the Diploma in Māori and Indigenous Art at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s Whirikoka campus in Gisborne, had a military upbringing in Trentham and Waiouru. Attending Te Aute college kept Erin in touch with her Māori Heritage

Erin says she always held a longing for Toi-Māori – and a fascination for the art of raranga (weaving) - and the amazing things that could be made from harakeke (flax) and the refined, silky product within it, muka.

She was introduced to the art under master weavers Veranoa Hetet-Hauwaho and her mother Erenora Puketapu-Hetet in 2001 while her husband (Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako Tiopira Rauna) was learning whakairo (carving) under master carver Rangi Hetet at Waiwhetu.

“It was such a positive and encouraging way of learning. A huge inspriation for how these taonga should be passed on.”

“What I noticed is that when you were ready you were shown the next part. You weren’t given something you weren’t ready for.”

“I try and maintain this in my class. We work around a kaupapa but there are layers I take away if the tauira isn’t ready or layers I can add if they understand it.”

Erin, who returned back to Gisborne in 2005 and completed a Bachelor of Fine Arts through Toihoukura eight years later, credits Parekowhai “Aunty Polly” Whaitiri and Christina Wirihana as two other major influences in her raranga.

She says the art form has been a voyage of strengthening her Māoritanga and her evolving practice.

“It’s been a journey, a vessel back to my raranga whakapapa. Knowing you are continuing the mahi of your tūpuna is rewarding. It’s definitely a passion and I can’t imagine life without raranga.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes

Published On: 15 June 2021

Article By: James Ihaka

• 28 July, 2021

Rare exhibition for arts icon

A solo exhibition covering the 50 year career of one of Māoridom’s most important artists launches next weekend in Porirua.

• 20 July, 2021

Forestry course helps young father turn life around

Charlie Wallace has previously had some struggles, including minor brushes with the law, but has turned his life around after completing a forestry course through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Rotorua.

• 19 July 2021

Kōwhaiwhai – a lens into te ao Māori

Toni uses kōwhaiwhai as a lens for her tauira (students) to see te ao Māori on the Toi Maruata (the certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art) that she teaches.

• 9 July, 2021

Rangatahi now aiming for military careers

Two Waikato-Tainui rangatahi from troubled backgrounds now have military careers firmly in their sights.