Jayden Konye

• * Jayden at the Paeroa skate park.

Paeroa’s Jayden Konye is getting set for a new career in forestry after assistance from the Youth Services team at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has helped him overcome a series of life challenges.

Jayden - a 17-year-old who has American, Hungarian and Kiwi heritage - loves to skate and hang out with friends.

In 2020, he was introduced to Youth Services coach Carolyn Walker by his teacher at Paeroa College as his mental health wasn’t good and he needed help to leave home.

“I have found Youth Services very helpful and effective. I have been with them for coming up a year.”

He says Carolyn helped him:

• find housing three times
  • get a bed and linen for his new flat
  • complete a budgeting course and do banking

She also helped with a referral to a psychologist. “It was very beneficial and I no longer suffer from depression.

“I completed NCEA Level Two at Paeroa College last year. I recently signed out so I can start my apprenticeship. Caro is also helping me to get my restricted licence. She takes me for weekly driving lessons.”

He was previously on a Youth Payment benefit. But this was cancelled a few months ago after he got a part-time job at Caltex with Carolyn’s help as well. He was able to fit this job in around his schooling.

“I have been able to financially support myself.”

Now he’s just been offered a silviculture apprenticeship through Waikato Forestry Services.

“I start in a few weeks. I am eager and keen but also a little nervous. My goal is to be an arborist.”

Overall, he says the best things he’s gained from his involvement with Youth Services are being able to live independently and improving his mental health.

His advice to any other teens in a difficult situation is to reach out.

“Get out of your bad situation by finding someone who can help you, focus on the good things that you can change.”

Published On: 21 June, 2021

Article By: Stephen Ward

• 06 June 2024

Raranga programme helps funeral director to connect with traditional cultural practices

Descended from a long line of undertakers, it’s no surprise that it was tangi that brought Delano Murray (Ngāti Kurī) to Heretaunga, where he’s a funeral director for Simplicity Funerals and studying Toi Paematua Level 5 in raranga with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 16 May 2024

Kawerau local lives out childhood dream of learning to weave

As a young girl, Barbara Wheto always had a fascination with harakeke and the art of weaving. But growing up in an era where being Māori and Māori culture were scorned upon, she was never encouraged to explore the art form.

• 09 May 2024

Wānanga scholarship supports tauira in completing Master of Architecture thesis

The 2023 Dr. Buck Nin Memorial Scholarship recipient for Māori contemporary art was 23-year-old Antonia van Sitter, who put the funds towards completing her Master of Architecture thesis.

• 09 May 2024

Rodney Whanga, Te Matatini Scholarship award winner

Mahia te mahi hei oranga whakatipu, hei oranga tuku iho mō te iwi, ahakoa ngā piere nuku o te wā. Ko Rodney Whanga o Tainui waka, nō ngā iwi o Ngāti Maniapoto me Waikato te whakatinanatanga o te kōrero nei.