Jayden Konye

• * Jayden at the Paeroa skate park.

Paeroa’s Jayden Konye is getting set for a new career in forestry after assistance from the Youth Services team at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has helped him overcome a series of life challenges.

Jayden - a 17-year-old who has American, Hungarian and Kiwi heritage - loves to skate and hang out with friends.

In 2020, he was introduced to Youth Services coach Carolyn Walker by his teacher at Paeroa College as his mental health wasn’t good and he needed help to leave home.

“I have found Youth Services very helpful and effective. I have been with them for coming up a year.”

He says Carolyn helped him:

• find housing three times
  • get a bed and linen for his new flat
  • complete a budgeting course and do banking

She also helped with a referral to a psychologist. “It was very beneficial and I no longer suffer from depression.

“I completed NCEA Level Two at Paeroa College last year. I recently signed out so I can start my apprenticeship. Caro is also helping me to get my restricted licence. She takes me for weekly driving lessons.”

He was previously on a Youth Payment benefit. But this was cancelled a few months ago after he got a part-time job at Caltex with Carolyn’s help as well. He was able to fit this job in around his schooling.

“I have been able to financially support myself.”

Now he’s just been offered a silviculture apprenticeship through Waikato Forestry Services.

“I start in a few weeks. I am eager and keen but also a little nervous. My goal is to be an arborist.”

Overall, he says the best things he’s gained from his involvement with Youth Services are being able to live independently and improving his mental health.

His advice to any other teens in a difficult situation is to reach out.

“Get out of your bad situation by finding someone who can help you, focus on the good things that you can change.”

Published On: 21 June, 2021

Article By: Stephen Ward

• 18 October 2021

The hard work starts at home

Working with young people in Ōtāhuhu, Elaine Poutoa has seen first-hand the issues they face. Poverty, crime, bullying, homelessness, self-harm, Elaine has seen what it does to young people and wanted to do something about it.

• 22 October, 2021

Industry News

(TITO) Update | Workforce Development Councils | Te Taumata Aronui | Centres of Vocational Excellence | Regional Skills Leadership Groups

• 22 October, 2021

Te Pūkenga Partnership Update

Since the signing of the memorandum of understanding earlier this year between Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and Te Pūkenga the two organisations have been meeting regularly to colloborate on a number of workstreams in relation to RoVE.

• 22 October, 2021

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Chair appointed to Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning subsidiary

Vanessa Eparaima, chair of the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Council Te Mana Whakahaere, has been appointed to the Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning Limited (WBL).