Business Graduate: Keita Miru

After running a successful business with no formal business education behind her, Keita Miru got to a stage where she wanted to upskill herself and fill a few gaps she’d identified in her business plan. 

She had established her activewear label Wahine Toa Apparel in 2014 and despite its initial success, she knew there were things she could be doing better. So in 2017, Keita decided to study business with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere.

“At the time I was looking for mentorship and just looking to upgrade and educate myself. I think originally there were quite a few holes with the business so I joined the course,” she says.

She chose to study business with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa because of its mātauranga Māori approach to learning.

“Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is more relatable to my business because it’s Māori. I wanted to be able to relate to the tutors and be able to have a kōrero with them and be able to feel like I belong somewhere. And I wasn’t just a number.”

She says the skills she learned on the course are “absolutely” still useful three years later.

“I basically relaunched again in August this year so I got the books out and had a look at what I really needed to change,” she says.

“The behaviour of customers has changed, the industry has changed, and I basically started again. So the course definitely helped in managing all these really difficult external factors and things that the business would benefit from, that really helped.”

Keita says the business programmes at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa are particulaerly relatable to Māori and Pasifika people but would benefit people from all cultures.

“Just be honest with yourself and know that it’s okay that you don’t know everything. Put that ego aside, do the course, learn all these new skills and really just be open about everything,” she says.

“I was able to have one-on-ones with the tutors and just be open and honest and have a kōrero and they just understood you.”

Find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 7 July 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.

• 09 December 2021

Don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture

Cydne Price has a message for anyone studying Toi Māori: don’t focus on the little things, it’s better to look at the bigger picture.