Kaiako: Whakairo - Mike Looker

It’s taken a while but Mike Looker has finally found where he fits in.

After first coming to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa as a tauira wanting to learn whakairo, he went on to become a kaiako, taught in Whangārei for three years before returning to Tāmaki, where he is now a student support adviser at our Māngere campus.

“I didn’t care about any qualifications when I came here, I just wanted to carve,” he says.

He eventually completed the Maunga Kura Toi whakairo degree before teaching the Bachelor of Māori Art at Northtec. It was during this time that he began to notice some of the struggles his tauira faced.

“You can see where the gaps are. Some of them struggle with some of the simplest things. They’re skilled artists, but they struggle, they can’t write an essay and they were struggling with some of the things that some of us take for granted,” he says.

“I thought as a kaiako, I’d be able to go and help, but I it wasn’t as straighforward as I wanted it to be.”

Leaving teaching and moving back to Tāmaki to establish his own whakairo venture, Mike kept thinking about those tauira and lept at the opportunity when a Tauira Support role became available at the Māngere campus.

“When this job came up, I thought ‘oh yeah, that’s perfect’, that’s where I fit,” he says.

“That’s where I want to be, to tautoko the kaiako to build up these tauria so they can get to these places that they think they could never get to. Anyone can get there with a bit of encouragement.”

He sees two key reasons why many tauira struggle.

“I think one of the biggest things is that they come in and they already have a feeling that they can’t do it, even though they might be skilled as. They have this attitude that ‘oh no, that’s not for me’, or ‘that’s a Pākehā thing’, which it isn’t.

“The other thing is the academic stuff, because schooling wasn’t for everyone. And on top of that, you’ve got the struggle of finance, whānau, it’s just hard.”

Which is why he’s committed to doing everything he can to make it that little bit easier.

“Some of our environments are terrible environments, they’re not healthy for ourselves or our kids so I think if someone decides to come here, they are trying to make a change, and if they’re trying to make a change, then I’m going to help them.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori programmes.

Published On: 31 August, 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 29 November 2022

Dreams become reality through wānanga police prep programme

Becoming a police officer had always been a dream for single mum, Tori Barton, so she was willing to do whatever it would take to make that dream a reality.

• 10 November 2022

Grandmother relearning the language she was once punished for speaking

Papamoa local, Maggie Hautonga Currie has spent much of her adult life living in Perth but after 37 years she was missing her home, her people, her culture and her reo.

• 31 October 2022

Wānanga teacher makes good out of a childhood spent in foster care

Pirini Edwards was a state ward going through boys’ homes and foster homes throughout his childhood. But it was these childhood experiences and life lessons that led him to his current mahi, teaching the Certificate in Bicultural Social Services at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 26 October 2022

Sharing knowledge integral part of being Māori

Teaching and sharing knowledge is a natural and integral part of being Māori for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako (teacher), Rauangi Ohia.