Max Lawson - Graduate of Education (Primary Teaching) degree at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Bachelor

Max Lawson wants to take competitive online gaming or Esports into more schools around Aotearoa.

The teacher aide and student hopes the skills he’s learning doing a Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Bachelor of Education (Primary Teaching) degree in Rotorua will help him achieve that goal.

“My vision is to take Esports around New Zealand. I want to have it treated as any other sport would at school.”

Max and fellow first-year programme classmate, Manaaki Vercoe, are currently helping to develop an Esports programme at Rotorua Primary School, which already has students participating in online gaming.

“Fred Whata (the school’s principal) suggested that we get the Bachelor of Education qualification to help further us,” says Max.

The passionate gamer was originally against the idea of studying and gaining a qualification.

“I thought I would be able to do my job without the qualification. But the skills that study has been giving me are amazing. I didn’t realise how much it would help me with what I’m currently doing on the job.”

Being able to study locally has meant that Max can attend classes on campus and then take what he’s learning straight back in to Rotorua Primary School in his teacher aide role.

“I’m able to test out what I’m learning straight afterwards in the classes that I’m teaching. It’s so helpful for implementing things and understanding them,” says Max.

He was also pleased with the cost of the degree, saying it was nothing like he thought it was going to be.

“It’s really easy to manage, including the cost. It’s worth what you put in for what you’re getting back.”

The 24-year-old plans to complete his degree by 2023 and eventually move on to furthering his goal of introducing Esports into other schools around the country.

Find out more about our education programmes.

Published On: 08 October 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 21 January 2022

Taking power over your health through Rongoā

For David Jones, Rongoā - the study of traditional Māori medicine, is about giving people the knowledge and tools to take power over their health and wellbeing.

• 10 January 2022

Dave meets Dave

A dyslexic solo-dad with mild autism and ADHD, battling homelessness and overcoming a drinking problem credits Te Wānanga o Aotearoa with helping him find himself and turn his life around.

• 13 December 2021

Wāhine take up mau rākau in Waikato

Mau rākau is traditionally seen as a male-dominated Māori martial art. But a group of wāhine at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa (Hamilton) have been challenging that stereotype.

• 10 December 2021

Steering the Waka together

Sponsorship for the lower North Island waka ama event scheduled for this weekend will help contribute to growing the number of people involved in the sport.