Police Preparation Alumni: Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo

Becoming a police officer fulfilled a life-long desire for Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo.

But to achieve her dream, Hannah knew she’d have to get stronger physically to pass the rigorous fitness requirements of the police entry tests.

To help her reach the required fitness levels, Hannah enrolled in the 38-week Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere and says it provided the support she needed.

“This programme actually helped me a lot physically. It motivated me because it’s really hard if you do it individually, but because of the course, you make a team and that really motivated me,” she says. 

“I had wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid but so many things happened. I’m passionate about helping people and found my personality suitable for this job, so I love what I’m doing.”

Hannah completed the programme in 2017 and was accepted into Police College in Porirua. After graduating, she chose to work at Ōtāhuhu Police station.

“I chose to go back to Ōtāhuhu because I just feel comfortable working in my area, my hood. For me, I’m comfortable working in areas where I live.”

She says its a great place to be a police officer.

“I’m very proud of our station in Ōtāhuhu. In Ōtāhuhu you learn a lot and if you can work in Ōtāhuhu you can work anywhere else in the country.”

While being a police officer might not be for everyone, Hannah says it’s ideal for people who have a passion for helping others, and it’s a job that offers plenty of variety.

“Everyone in the police has different roles to play, from frontline – which is going out and dealing with incidents – to other teams that come in later and help the victims. If you want to help people, just have a go.”

Find out more about our Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme.

Published On: 11 October 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.