Police Preparation Alumni: Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo

Becoming a police officer fulfilled a life-long desire for Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo.

But to achieve her dream, Hannah knew she’d have to get stronger physically to pass the rigorous fitness requirements of the police entry tests.

To help her reach the required fitness levels, Hannah enrolled in the 38-week Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere and says it provided the support she needed.

“This programme actually helped me a lot physically. It motivated me because it’s really hard if you do it individually, but because of the course, you make a team and that really motivated me,” she says. 

“I had wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid but so many things happened. I’m passionate about helping people and found my personality suitable for this job, so I love what I’m doing.”

Hannah completed the programme in 2017 and was accepted into Police College in Porirua. After graduating, she chose to work at Ōtāhuhu Police station.

“I chose to go back to Ōtāhuhu because I just feel comfortable working in my area, my hood. For me, I’m comfortable working in areas where I live.”

She says its a great place to be a police officer.

“I’m very proud of our station in Ōtāhuhu. In Ōtāhuhu you learn a lot and if you can work in Ōtāhuhu you can work anywhere else in the country.”

While being a police officer might not be for everyone, Hannah says it’s ideal for people who have a passion for helping others, and it’s a job that offers plenty of variety.

“Everyone in the police has different roles to play, from frontline – which is going out and dealing with incidents – to other teams that come in later and help the victims. If you want to help people, just have a go.”

Find out more about our Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme.

Published On: 11 October 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 13 May 2022

Mana Ora from the Ground Up

Jamie says the Mana Ora business programme embedded in kaupapa Māori and enriched with tikanga and reo content, changed the way he sees design.

• 10 May 2022

Wāhine finds healing through the art of weaving

Before studying raranga at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA), Zelda Te Pairi barely left her house and was struggling with low self-esteem.

• 02 May, 2022

Kawerau local follows her calling to study rongoā

A passion for helping others and the joy that comes from that played a key role in Lyndal Kennedy’s decision to study rongoā at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA).

• 02 May, 2022

Wānanga born and bred

Wānanga born and bred, Karyn Matiaha will be graduating next week like many of her whanau members have done before her.