Police Preparation Alumni: Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo

Becoming a police officer fulfilled a life-long desire for Constable Lien (Hannah) Ngo.

But to achieve her dream, Hannah knew she’d have to get stronger physically to pass the rigorous fitness requirements of the police entry tests.

To help her reach the required fitness levels, Hannah enrolled in the 38-week Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Māngere and says it provided the support she needed.

“This programme actually helped me a lot physically. It motivated me because it’s really hard if you do it individually, but because of the course, you make a team and that really motivated me,” she says. 

“I had wanted to be a police officer since I was a kid but so many things happened. I’m passionate about helping people and found my personality suitable for this job, so I love what I’m doing.”

Hannah completed the programme in 2017 and was accepted into Police College in Porirua. After graduating, she chose to work at Ōtāhuhu Police station.

“I chose to go back to Ōtāhuhu because I just feel comfortable working in my area, my hood. For me, I’m comfortable working in areas where I live.”

She says its a great place to be a police officer.

“I’m very proud of our station in Ōtāhuhu. In Ōtāhuhu you learn a lot and if you can work in Ōtāhuhu you can work anywhere else in the country.”

While being a police officer might not be for everyone, Hannah says it’s ideal for people who have a passion for helping others, and it’s a job that offers plenty of variety.

“Everyone in the police has different roles to play, from frontline – which is going out and dealing with incidents – to other teams that come in later and help the victims. If you want to help people, just have a go.”

Find out more about our Police Preparation - NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme.

Published On: 11 October 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 18 October 2021

The hard work starts at home

Working with young people in Ōtāhuhu, Elaine Poutoa has seen first-hand the issues they face. Poverty, crime, bullying, homelessness, self-harm, Elaine has seen what it does to young people and wanted to do something about it.

• 22 October, 2021

Industry News

(TITO) Update | Workforce Development Councils | Te Taumata Aronui | Centres of Vocational Excellence | Regional Skills Leadership Groups

• 22 October, 2021

Te Pūkenga Partnership Update

Since the signing of the memorandum of understanding earlier this year between Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and Te Pūkenga the two organisations have been meeting regularly to colloborate on a number of workstreams in relation to RoVE.

• 22 October, 2021

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Chair appointed to Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning subsidiary

Vanessa Eparaima, chair of the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Council Te Mana Whakahaere, has been appointed to the Board of Te Pūkenga Work Based Learning Limited (WBL).