Spike Taylor - Police Preparation

Kirikiriroa youth worker Spike Taylor has been dreaming for years of stepping up to be a police officer and he’s now set to make that a reality with the help of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TwoA).

Unable to apply last year for the Royal New Zealand Police College in Wellington due to the COVID-19 lockdown, Spike instead enrolled in TwoA’s 38-week, NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation - Police Preparation.

This step, which helps tauira (students) with literacy, numeracy and fitness requirements in their preparation for the college, was based on the advice of a friend who completed the programme and became a police officer herself.

“She highly recommended it,” says Spike.

He’s due to complete the programme at the end of this year after completing his SCOPE – a series of four 10-hour shifts alongside frontline police officers, giving him necessary first-hand experince.

“I have already passed the psychometric and physical testing and that was all through the help of TWoA, especially my kaiako Morgan Kutia, and the services that they offered to me,” says Spike.

The father of one, who currently works fulltime as a youth worker for Real Waikato, has a strong passion for working with rangatahi (youth).

“You put yourself around what you want to do, that’s how I see it. It all fits in with the goal of being a police officer.”

The support from Morgan Kutia and the unique Māori environment at TWoA has played a key role in Spike’s success on the Police Preparation programme.

“I guess being around our own makes it a whole lot easier to relate. And the culture side of it, I love everything Māori.”

After completing the certificate, Spike also plans to continue studying with TWoA and begin his learning journey in te reo Māori.

“The plan is to get into police college and become a police officer. That’s one of my top goals. The other goal is to learn te reo Māori. That’s a goal for my personal development. I just want to be the best that I can be.”

Find out more about our Professional Skills and Trades programmes.

Published On: 26 October 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.