Tauira: Alberta Harmer - Maunga Kura Toi

For Alberta Harmer, studying raranga (weaving) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA) has become a journey of both learning the art and more about her whakapapa.

The 52-year-old has always had a passion for creativity, but raranga has also given her the opportunity to connect more with her whakapapa.

“It’s been a beautiful journey because it has enabled me to do rangahau around my whakapapa. A lot of my kaupapa has been whakapapa based,” says Alberta who will soon complete her Bachelor of Māori Art Level 7 (Raranga).

Alberta has been weaving throughout the year creating a rā (sail) that is based on a pūrākau (legend) within her iwi, Ngāti Kahungunu ki Wairarapa, about a rockface called Kupe’s sail in Palliser Bay. 

“The korero is that Kupe and his friend, Ngake rested there and decided to have a competition to see who could create the fastest sail. Kupe laid his against the rocks and there it remains.”

The Hamilton local knew she was challenging herself when she decided to weave a sail in under a year, but the support from her whānau, kaiako and fellow tauira have kept her motivated.

The journey of learning raranga is one that Alberta believes is best to do alongside others and never alone, so when she was unable to attend classes due to Covid restrictions she got her husband involved.

“I think it’s important that your whānau come on your journey with you. I thought I can’t do this on my own, so I brought my husband on board and once I taught him he was faster than me.”

Alberta plans to take her completed rā back home to Kohunui marae, where she will have it blessed and hopefully talk more about the story of Kupe and his sail with her whānau.

“It’s funny how it’s eventuated and it’s not just about weaving something, but it’s been about weaving whakapapa and being able to give back to my whānau through raranga.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes.

Published On: 11 November 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 25 July 2024

Teaching dream becomes reality for resilient South Auckland mum

Tongan-born Tangi Katoa grew up watching her mum, Lineni Paea, teach, instilling in her a love of education and a passion for teaching.

• 18 July 2024

Student’s thirst for knowledge leads to a diploma in Māori and Indigenous Art

Tereinamu Hakopa has a thirst for knowledge and is dedicated to sharing the knowledge she gains with those around her.

• 11 July 2024

Northland rangatahi making strides in her reo Māori journey

By learning te reo Māori, 22-year-old Sophie Doyle hopes to be an example to her whānau and generations to come, embodying the vision of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, whānau transformation through education.

• 2 July 2024

Sharing a Māori view of uku

In a creative field largely dominated by non-Māori artists, ceramicist Tracy Keith (Ngāpuhi) is always happy to educate others about how Māori view and use uku (clay).