Tauira: Alberta Harmer - Maunga Kura Toi

For Alberta Harmer, studying raranga (weaving) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA) has become a journey of both learning the art and more about her whakapapa.

The 52-year-old has always had a passion for creativity, but raranga has also given her the opportunity to connect more with her whakapapa.

“It’s been a beautiful journey because it has enabled me to do rangahau around my whakapapa. A lot of my kaupapa has been whakapapa based,” says Alberta who will soon complete her Bachelor of Māori Art Level 7 (Raranga).

Alberta has been weaving throughout the year creating a rā (sail) that is based on a pūrākau (legend) within her iwi, Ngāti Kahungunu ki Wairarapa, about a rockface called Kupe’s sail in Palliser Bay. 

“The korero is that Kupe and his friend, Ngake rested there and decided to have a competition to see who could create the fastest sail. Kupe laid his against the rocks and there it remains.”

The Hamilton local knew she was challenging herself when she decided to weave a sail in under a year, but the support from her whānau, kaiako and fellow tauira have kept her motivated.

The journey of learning raranga is one that Alberta believes is best to do alongside others and never alone, so when she was unable to attend classes due to Covid restrictions she got her husband involved.

“I think it’s important that your whānau come on your journey with you. I thought I can’t do this on my own, so I brought my husband on board and once I taught him he was faster than me.”

Alberta plans to take her completed rā back home to Kohunui marae, where she will have it blessed and hopefully talk more about the story of Kupe and his sail with her whānau.

“It’s funny how it’s eventuated and it’s not just about weaving something, but it’s been about weaving whakapapa and being able to give back to my whānau through raranga.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes.

Published On: 11 November 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 13 May 2022

Mana Ora from the Ground Up

Jamie says the Mana Ora business programme embedded in kaupapa Māori and enriched with tikanga and reo content, changed the way he sees design.

• 10 May 2022

Wāhine finds healing through the art of weaving

Before studying raranga at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA), Zelda Te Pairi barely left her house and was struggling with low self-esteem.

• 02 May, 2022

Kawerau local follows her calling to study rongoā

A passion for helping others and the joy that comes from that played a key role in Lyndal Kennedy’s decision to study rongoā at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA).

• 02 May, 2022

Wānanga born and bred

Wānanga born and bred, Karyn Matiaha will be graduating next week like many of her whanau members have done before her.