Tauira: Alberta Harmer - Maunga Kura Toi

For Alberta Harmer, studying raranga (weaving) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA) has become a journey of both learning the art and more about her whakapapa.

The 52-year-old has always had a passion for creativity, but raranga has also given her the opportunity to connect more with her whakapapa.

“It’s been a beautiful journey because it has enabled me to do rangahau around my whakapapa. A lot of my kaupapa has been whakapapa based,” says Alberta who will soon complete her Bachelor of Māori Art Level 7 (Raranga).

Alberta has been weaving throughout the year creating a rā (sail) that is based on a pūrākau (legend) within her iwi, Ngāti Kahungunu ki Wairarapa, about a rockface called Kupe’s sail in Palliser Bay. 

“The korero is that Kupe and his friend, Ngake rested there and decided to have a competition to see who could create the fastest sail. Kupe laid his against the rocks and there it remains.”

The Hamilton local knew she was challenging herself when she decided to weave a sail in under a year, but the support from her whānau, kaiako and fellow tauira have kept her motivated.

The journey of learning raranga is one that Alberta believes is best to do alongside others and never alone, so when she was unable to attend classes due to Covid restrictions she got her husband involved.

“I think it’s important that your whānau come on your journey with you. I thought I can’t do this on my own, so I brought my husband on board and once I taught him he was faster than me.”

Alberta plans to take her completed rā back home to Kohunui marae, where she will have it blessed and hopefully talk more about the story of Kupe and his sail with her whānau.

“It’s funny how it’s eventuated and it’s not just about weaving something, but it’s been about weaving whakapapa and being able to give back to my whānau through raranga.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes.

Published On: 11 November 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.