Elisa Graham: Tauira - Raranga

Elisa Graham was adopted and raised by a Pākehā family. She’s found that studying raranga (weaving) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has helped her bridge the gap with her Māori heritage.

The 40-year-old from Hamilton made connections with her biological whakapapa through the mahi toi (art work) she has produced while studying Māori and Indigenous art at the Wānanga (TWoA).

“I’ve been able to connect innately through weaving to my ancestors because I’ve got some tūpuna that were weavers and were known in their own right. So I’ve been able to express myself in the same way and realise that some of my skills may have been innately inherited.”

Elisa has been studying raranga at TWoA’s Te Rapa campus for the past two years and is about to finish her diploma.

Over the past year she has created five pieces made up of earrings, a bodice, two necklaces and a pākē (cape).

“They all link to my whakapapa and recognise the female line that I’ve come from,” says Elisa who will display her pieces at her classes end of year exhibition, He Kohikohinga.

The exhibition is due to run from 22 November to 10 December between 7am and 10pm at the Te Rapa Campus, with members of the public welcome to come along.

“My daughter will be wearing all the pieces so it will be like myself and her bridging that gap between my ancestors and the coming generations.”

Despite all the interruptions throughout the past two years due to Covid, Elisa is grateful for the skills she has learnt and the knowledge passed down from her kaiako, Simi Paris.

“The classes have been very valuable and the kaiako emphasise not just being able to weave commercially but the kaupapa and tikanga behind it.”

The art on display at He Kohikohinga exhibition will be from a range of level 4 and 5 tauira from multiple classes and art forms.

The exhibition will be run in line with the Covid restrictions depending on the Covid level that Waikato comes under.

Find out more about our Hauora programmes.

Published On: 23 November 2021

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.