Herewini Moana

For as long as Herewini Moana can remember he has been practicing and sharing his knowledge of tikanga Māori with all those willing to learn.

He’s worked with iwi, schools, corporations and now Herewini will be teaching Te Whāinga o te Ao Tikanga (Level 3) programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Huntly campus.

“I’ve been teaching for a long time but never at a tertiary institute. I hope with my experience in teaching and tikanga I can take it to another level and further the kaupapa (topic).”

Tikanga encompasses the purpose, protocols and practices of te ao Māori (the Māori world) and is the main foundation of Herewini’s upbringing.

Born and bred in Huntly, Herewini is active in the community, supporting kaumatua on the paepae within the Kīngitanga and supporting the kaupapa of local iwi in the area.

“Tikanga is something that comes naturally to me now and I practice it throughout my journey in life.”

Seeing people grow their tikanga knowledge but also grow in confidence inside the classroom and out is the ultimate goal for Herewini when he is teaching.

“It makes me proud to see tauira (students) practice tikanga on the marae or in everyday day life and that is why I choose to keep teaching.”

Herewini encourages all those who are willing to learn and understand the importance of tikanga, not just in te ao Māori but many aspects of life, to come and study.

“You will be learning in a safe space and you will take away knowledge and skills that you can go on to share with others.”

Herewini will be teaching the tikanga programme over 20 weeks, beginning in July 2022.

For more information or to enrol in the Te Whāinga o te Ao Tikanga programme in Huntly or throughout Aotearoa, visit our website to find our programme offerings.

Published On: 29 June, 2022

• 29 November 2022

Dreams become reality through wānanga police prep programme

Becoming a police officer had always been a dream for single mum, Tori Barton, so she was willing to do whatever it would take to make that dream a reality.

• 10 November 2022

Grandmother relearning the language she was once punished for speaking

Papamoa local, Maggie Hautonga Currie has spent much of her adult life living in Perth but after 37 years she was missing her home, her people, her culture and her reo.

• 31 October 2022

Wānanga teacher makes good out of a childhood spent in foster care

Pirini Edwards was a state ward going through boys’ homes and foster homes throughout his childhood. But it was these childhood experiences and life lessons that led him to his current mahi, teaching the Certificate in Bicultural Social Services at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 26 October 2022

Sharing knowledge integral part of being Māori

Teaching and sharing knowledge is a natural and integral part of being Māori for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako (teacher), Rauangi Ohia.