Tira Hemana: Graduate - Bachelor of Bicultural Social Work,

After four years of study, Tira Hemana has graduated with a Bachelor of Bicultural Social Work, teaching her tamariki (children) that it’s never too late to start your learning journey.

At 52 years old, Tira has completed Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Ngā Poutoko Whakarara Oranga programme and is now studying a Postgraduate Diploma in Bicultural Professional Supervision to help her progress in her social work career.

“I wanted to show my children they can aspire to be anything. I want them to study and be qualified in something they are passionate about and the best way to illustrate that was to model it myself.”

With a passion for helping people and guiding them towards a positive future, Tira knew a career in social work was what she was meant to do.

At the start of her degree, Tira worked as a case manager for Work and Income but has since secured a job at Raukura Hauora o Tainui with the help of her social work qualification.

“Social work is a part of the key work I currently do in my job and my study was integral. Having this tohu (qualification) definitely helped with my employment prospects.”

Throughout her time studying, Tira has gained a life changing amount of knowledge but she is also very grateful for the friendships she made along the way.

It was these close friendships that made class an enjoyable and relaxed experience and Tira says they are a big reason she was able to make it through all those years of study.

“We were a collective and got through things together. I lost my partner in the middle of my degree and the awhi that came from the class was a standout moment for me.”

For those who are on the fence about studying, Tira encourages them to take the chance and begin their learning journey.

“I wish I started studying 20 years ago because I would be so much further in my career. It’s never too late to start and I think I’ve proven that. Have faith in yourself and just go for it.”

Learn more about our Social Services programmes

Published On: 12 July 2022

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.