Tira Hemana: Graduate - Bachelor of Bicultural Social Work,

After four years of study, Tira Hemana has graduated with a Bachelor of Bicultural Social Work, teaching her tamariki (children) that it’s never too late to start your learning journey.

At 52 years old, Tira has completed Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Ngā Poutoko Whakarara Oranga programme and is now studying a Postgraduate Diploma in Bicultural Professional Supervision to help her progress in her social work career.

“I wanted to show my children they can aspire to be anything. I want them to study and be qualified in something they are passionate about and the best way to illustrate that was to model it myself.”

With a passion for helping people and guiding them towards a positive future, Tira knew a career in social work was what she was meant to do.

At the start of her degree, Tira worked as a case manager for Work and Income but has since secured a job at Raukura Hauora o Tainui with the help of her social work qualification.

“Social work is a part of the key work I currently do in my job and my study was integral. Having this tohu (qualification) definitely helped with my employment prospects.”

Throughout her time studying, Tira has gained a life changing amount of knowledge but she is also very grateful for the friendships she made along the way.

It was these close friendships that made class an enjoyable and relaxed experience and Tira says they are a big reason she was able to make it through all those years of study.

“We were a collective and got through things together. I lost my partner in the middle of my degree and the awhi that came from the class was a standout moment for me.”

For those who are on the fence about studying, Tira encourages them to take the chance and begin their learning journey.

“I wish I started studying 20 years ago because I would be so much further in my career. It’s never too late to start and I think I’ve proven that. Have faith in yourself and just go for it.”

Learn more about our Social Services programmes

Published On: 12 July 2022

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 29 November 2022

Dreams become reality through wānanga police prep programme

Becoming a police officer had always been a dream for single mum, Tori Barton, so she was willing to do whatever it would take to make that dream a reality.

• 10 November 2022

Grandmother relearning the language she was once punished for speaking

Papamoa local, Maggie Hautonga Currie has spent much of her adult life living in Perth but after 37 years she was missing her home, her people, her culture and her reo.

• 31 October 2022

Wānanga teacher makes good out of a childhood spent in foster care

Pirini Edwards was a state ward going through boys’ homes and foster homes throughout his childhood. But it was these childhood experiences and life lessons that led him to his current mahi, teaching the Certificate in Bicultural Social Services at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 26 October 2022

Sharing knowledge integral part of being Māori

Teaching and sharing knowledge is a natural and integral part of being Māori for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako (teacher), Rauangi Ohia.