Police Focus Graduate - Tori Barton

Becoming a police officer had always been a dream for single mum, Tori Barton, so she was willing to do whatever it would take to make that dream a reality.

Enrolling in Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme was a crucial step in her journey and played a key role in getting her to where she is today. 

“When I decided I wanted to join the police I wanted to do everything that I could to help me get there.”

“I spoke with the kaiako (teacher) and he encouraged me to do the programme because he knew how passionate I was and wanted to support me along the way,” says Tori who graduated from The Royal New Zealand Police College in August 2022.

Juggling full time mahi (work) and life as a solo parent was already a challenge for Tori, so adding study to her already busy schedule was daunting.

But the support she received from her kaiako, Morgan Kutia and fellow tauira (students) meant that studying wasn’t just possible but it was easier than she originally thought.

“I loved the supportive atmosphere. If I didn’t have the support of my peers and the kaiako it would have been a very lonely journey and I would have struggled to do it on my own.”

Not only did the programme help Tori gain the knowledge and skills she needed for the pre-entry testing but she was also happily surprised to learn more about tikanga Māori.

It was because of this tikanga knowledge that she went to police college with a stronger sense of confidence in who she was as a wahine (woman) Māori, so much so, that she led the karanga (formal call) at her graduation ceremony.

“Learning through Te Wānanga helped to ground me and I was able to go to police college and stand proud in the fact that I am Māori and now I can be proud in the fact that I’m a wahine Māori police officer.”

Find out more about our Police Focused NZ Certificate in Study and Career Preparation programme.

Published On: 29 November 2022

Article By: Cassia Ngāruhe

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.