Annaleah Hoera and Gazelle Rangitakatu - Graduates: Bachelor of education

The vision of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is, whānau transformation through education, and that has been the case for one Hamilton family.

Mother and daughter, Gazelle Rangitakatu and Annaleah Hoera completed He Korowai Ākonga, Bachelor of Education (Primary Teaching) along with two other wāhine (women) in their whānau.

“I love the fact that I had my oldest daughter graduate first and now me and Annaleah. And this year we have my other daughter doing her first year of teaching at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. I love it, it’s just beautiful,” says Gazelle.

It was Annaleah who encouraged her mum to take the next step and study primary teaching after seeing her work as a teacher aide for over 20 years.

But at 53-years-old, Gazelle had the opinion that she was too old to study and had doubts about her ability to achieve.

“My biggest fear would have been that I was too old and I didn’t know what to do. But Te Wānanga o Aotearoa embraced my knowledge whether I thought it was little or not. Whatever you have, big or small, it’s valuable, it’s a taonga (treasure). You bring yours; I’ll bring mine and together we will flourish,” says Gazelle.

Prior to studying, Annaleah spent nine years as a manager at McDonald’s, which meant her ability to take weekends and public holidays off was limited.

But since completing their bachelors, both wāhine were offered and accepted teaching roles in reo rua (bilingual) classrooms at Hamilton’s Bankwood School.

“Part of my decision to change careers was the flexibility that teachers have. For nine years I never had weekends off. Now I have more freedom and I’m appreciative of this career,” says Annaleah.

The learning environment at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was one where Gazelle and Annaleah felt at home and safe to explore their learning and it was this learning that they have now taken into their own classrooms.

“In the first term I make sure my students feel like they belong and that it’s a safe space to learn. That is one thing I learnt from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa that I will continue,” says Annaleah.

Find out more about our Education programmes

Published On: 17 April 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.

• 28 March 2024

Stepping out of the corporate world and into the classroom

Like many parents during the pandemic, Tamara Grace-Tonga had to become her daughter’s core teacher. Quite unexpectedly, this sparked her wanting to change her legacy.