Weku Kereopa : Diploma in Māori and Indigenous Art. (Raranga) graduate

Weku Kereopa may have been the only tāne (male) in his raranga (weaving) class but that didn’t deter him from completing the Diploma in Māori and Indigenous Art.

The Murupara local would travel to his class in Whakatāne once a week to study the level 5 programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“It was a good environment to be in and around. Yes, I was the only male but they (classmates) would awhi (embrace) me and support me.”

Growing up, Weku would attend weaving expo’s with his aunties and mum. From there he grew a passion and an interest for the art form.

“Hardly any of my whānau weave now but I found all of their work in our shed and that made me want to learn and keep it alive.”

Apart from the exposure to raranga that Weku had growing up and weaving bracelets from time to time, his knowledge and experience was minimal.

“At the start we were all novices and we were scared of talking up our work. This programme has built up a lot of confidence in me. I used to hide away in the corner but I feel more confident and open to share my weaving and everything I’ve learnt.”

Weku encouraged those with even a small amount of interest to give raranga a go and to remember that weaving was once a big part of life for both tāne and wāhine (women) in Māori culture.

“I guess for men, we should remember that our people used to make ropes and nets for hunting and fishing. Because I live in the bush, I’m going to relish all that stuff. So, if they have a hunger to learn, just go for it.”

Studying at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa provided an environment that Weku said was enjoyable and made him feel comfortable while on his learning journey.

“Once you get in the classroom it’s quiet. Everyone is weaving and you just feel a good vibe. It doesn’t matter what level you are, we just work together and try to help each other.”

Find out more about our toi Māori (arts) programmes

Published On: 16 May 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 24 April 2024

Tāne creates legacy for his whānau by learning te reo Māori

From someone with no te reo Māori knowledge to now being able to speak te reo Māori all day, every day if he chose, Ruebin Reti has evolved into a beacon of inspiration.

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.