Arron Learmond: Graduate - Level 4 Certificate in Rongoā

After being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at 19, Arron Learmond began a journey of learning, researching and experimenting with herbal medicine and rongoā Māori.

Now at 46, he has just completed the Level 4 Certificate in Rongoā at the Kawerau campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. This allowed him to get the credentials he needed to serve him in the work he has been doing for many years.

“I decided to study rongoā because of my healing journey. 26 years ago, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and that’s the root of my journey. I wanted to find answers, so I went into herbal medicine.”

Two years ago, Arron opened Coastline Wellness Studio in Whakatāne to provide well-being services to his local community. These services include remedial massage, mirimiri, life coaching and rongoā.

Since completing the rongoā programme, Arron has registered with ACC New Zealand to provide rongoā services and says it has given him the confidence he needed to further reach his community.

“The programme guided me to share the knowledge that I’ve gained and it gave me the guts to do it. The scientific and experimental nature of the course reignited that curiosity in me to go out and create different concoctions.”

Arron was impressed with how engaging the programme and his kaiako (teacher), Vanessa Skipper, were. He said the learning went deeper than just rongoā.

“It’s a very practical programme which makes a lot of sense, given the nature of the content. It was exciting to learn everything, from tikanga right through to putting remedies together. It was refreshing.”

Arron hopes that through his clinic and the new knowledge he’s gained, he can continue to serve his community’s well-being and health needs.

“My biggest goal is to keep doing my work and sharing it with the community on all levels, not just in my clinic. I want to take it out to the community a bit further. It’s not just about plants; it’s about people; it’s about communication; it’s about connection.”

Find out more about our hauora programmes

Published On: 17 May 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.

• 28 March 2024

Stepping out of the corporate world and into the classroom

Like many parents during the pandemic, Tamara Grace-Tonga had to become her daughter’s core teacher. Quite unexpectedly, this sparked her wanting to change her legacy.

• 20 March 2024

Tauira lead different lives but share a passion for te reo Māori

Pare Edmonds and Jonathon Glanville may come from differing backgrounds and lead distinct personal lives, but one thing they do have in common is their love for te reo Māori and their dedication to master the language.