Barbara Wheto - Raranga

As a young girl, Barbara Wheto always had a fascination with harakeke and the art of weaving. But growing up in an era where being Māori and Māori culture were scorned upon, she was never encouraged to explore the art form.

She recalls being punished as a young child for playing with harakeke, and from then on, she would hide in the bushes just to practice weaving.

“As far as my parents were concerned, being Māori was the worst thing that could ever happen. Weaving had always been something I’d wanted to do, but I was made to feel like it was wrong,” says Barbara.

In 2022, Barbara enrolled in Kāwai Raupapa Level 4, in Raranga, at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa after seeing an advert on Facebook to study locally in Kawerau.

This decision was one that Barbara was excited about after years of feeling like she had to hide her desire to weave, but it also came with a mixture of fear, knowing that she had never immersed herself in te ao Māori before.

“In the first class, my kaiako was talking about harakeke, and I thought, what the heck is harakeke? That’s how much I didn’t know. I was raised pākehā, and I know that world. I don’t know the Māori world, but I want to know. That has made me more determined to do what I’m doing.”

Now at 60 years old, Barabara has completed Toi Paematua Level 5 in raranga and will walk the stage to receive her tohu at this year's Kawerau graduation ceremony.

And she isn’t stopping there. This year, she has begun working towards her degree, studying Maunga Kura Toi – Bachelor of Māori Art at the Rotorua campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

Barbara speaks highly of her kaiako, May Te Pou, who has been a great source of encouragement for her throughout her weaving journey.

“My kaiako went to the ends of the earth to support me, and she still does, even though I’m now a tauira in Rotorua. Studying raranga has been for me, and this is something that I have wanted since I was a child. Getting to study raranga has meant the world to me.”

Find out more about our Toi Māori (Arts) programmes.

Published On: 16 May 2024

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 09 May 2024

Wānanga scholarship supports tauira in completing Master of Architecture thesis

The 2023 Dr. Buck Nin Memorial Scholarship recipient for Māori contemporary art was 23-year-old Antonia van Sitter, who put the funds towards completing her Master of Architecture thesis.

• 09 May 2024

Rodney Whanga, Te Matatini Scholarship award winner

Mahia te mahi hei oranga whakatipu, hei oranga tuku iho mō te iwi, ahakoa ngā piere nuku o te wā. Ko Rodney Whanga o Tainui waka, nō ngā iwi o Ngāti Maniapoto me Waikato te whakatinanatanga o te kōrero nei.

• 08 May 2024

University Associate Professor committed to reo Māori journey

Sondra Bacharach is no stranger to education. She currently teaches a university philosophy programme in Aotearoa and has experienced classroom environments as a student within the American, French and German education systems.

• 06 May 2024

Inclusive and equal opportunities highlight for deaf tauira

In Porirua, Deaf tauira Tania Ali (Ngāti Tūwharetoa), recently walked the graduation stage to receive her Certificate in Small Business and Project Management.