Donna Chamberlain - Introduction to Team Leadership

Donna Chamberlain hoped to brush up on her leadership skills this year but got more than she hoped for after enrolling at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

She’s studying the 18-week NZ Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) Level 3 programme at the Māngere campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and while she’s been in a leadership role for the last two years, she still found lots to learn. 

“It made me realise all of the little things I’d missed over that time but also it’s making me think more as I go through my day-to-day stuff rather than just doing it,” she says. 

“I’m now trying to put things into practice and it works, mostly. Practice makes perfect.” 

The changes she is making at work are bringing real benefits, she says, “because I’m using more tried and established methods and people can see that and follow it. I’m a bit more methodical”. 

It’s Donna’s first time studying with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa but she quickly felt at home. 

“It’s been really good. I don’t know what I expected but in terms of the people and the facilities and everything else, it’s been great. And the encouragement and assistance with everything has been fantastic. I’ll definitely go away with some good friends.” 

The course gives students the skills and knowledge to lead a team effectively and helps them understand and manage the challenges of operating in the modern workplace. 

Donna says the course is well structured and ideal for those moving in to leadership roles as much as those already in those roles. 

“The course is built up really gradually and sensibly so you can see it all really logically, I think its great. I’d really recommend it for people that are going in to leadership but I wouldnt restrict it. I’ve been in leadership a couple of years now and loved it. I’m still learning.” 

And she intends to keep learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

“I’ll be back. I think I’ll just do a home study course into the Māori culture, that’s my next one.” 

Find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 06 April 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.