Donna Chamberlain - Introduction to Team Leadership

Donna Chamberlain hoped to brush up on her leadership skills this year but got more than she hoped for after enrolling at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

She’s studying the 18-week NZ Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) Level 3 programme at the Māngere campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and while she’s been in a leadership role for the last two years, she still found lots to learn. 

“It made me realise all of the little things I’d missed over that time but also it’s making me think more as I go through my day-to-day stuff rather than just doing it,” she says. 

“I’m now trying to put things into practice and it works, mostly. Practice makes perfect.” 

The changes she is making at work are bringing real benefits, she says, “because I’m using more tried and established methods and people can see that and follow it. I’m a bit more methodical”. 

It’s Donna’s first time studying with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa but she quickly felt at home. 

“It’s been really good. I don’t know what I expected but in terms of the people and the facilities and everything else, it’s been great. And the encouragement and assistance with everything has been fantastic. I’ll definitely go away with some good friends.” 

The course gives students the skills and knowledge to lead a team effectively and helps them understand and manage the challenges of operating in the modern workplace. 

Donna says the course is well structured and ideal for those moving in to leadership roles as much as those already in those roles. 

“The course is built up really gradually and sensibly so you can see it all really logically, I think its great. I’d really recommend it for people that are going in to leadership but I wouldnt restrict it. I’ve been in leadership a couple of years now and loved it. I’m still learning.” 

And she intends to keep learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

“I’ll be back. I think I’ll just do a home study course into the Māori culture, that’s my next one.” 

Find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 06 April 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.