Donna Chamberlain - Introduction to Team Leadership

Donna Chamberlain hoped to brush up on her leadership skills this year but got more than she hoped for after enrolling at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

She’s studying the 18-week NZ Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) Level 3 programme at the Māngere campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and while she’s been in a leadership role for the last two years, she still found lots to learn. 

“It made me realise all of the little things I’d missed over that time but also it’s making me think more as I go through my day-to-day stuff rather than just doing it,” she says. 

“I’m now trying to put things into practice and it works, mostly. Practice makes perfect.” 

The changes she is making at work are bringing real benefits, she says, “because I’m using more tried and established methods and people can see that and follow it. I’m a bit more methodical”. 

It’s Donna’s first time studying with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa but she quickly felt at home. 

“It’s been really good. I don’t know what I expected but in terms of the people and the facilities and everything else, it’s been great. And the encouragement and assistance with everything has been fantastic. I’ll definitely go away with some good friends.” 

The course gives students the skills and knowledge to lead a team effectively and helps them understand and manage the challenges of operating in the modern workplace. 

Donna says the course is well structured and ideal for those moving in to leadership roles as much as those already in those roles. 

“The course is built up really gradually and sensibly so you can see it all really logically, I think its great. I’d really recommend it for people that are going in to leadership but I wouldnt restrict it. I’ve been in leadership a couple of years now and loved it. I’m still learning.” 

And she intends to keep learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

“I’ll be back. I think I’ll just do a home study course into the Māori culture, that’s my next one.” 

Find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 06 April 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 14 June 2021

Ruta helps herself and her community

Ruta Aloisio knows there are plenty of issues that need dealing with in her Ōtara community and got to the stage where she wanted to do something to help.

• 10 June 2021

Loving the country that loves you through te reo Māori

Madison, said she wanted to give back to the country that gave her a home “and to keep up with what my kids were learning at school”. She did this by learning te reo Māori.

• 9 June 2021

Taking the opportunity to help people

For Mike, education is about helping people reach their goals in life, which involves building a range of skills and capabilities.

• 8 June 2021

Jordon’s feeling fine with rongoā

He’s faced more challenges than most people will ever have to but a belief in rongoā Māori means Jordon Wansbrough is living a productive life and helping others lead better and healthier lives.