Donna Chamberlain - Introduction to Team Leadership

Donna Chamberlain hoped to brush up on her leadership skills this year but got more than she hoped for after enrolling at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

She’s studying the 18-week NZ Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) Level 3 programme at the Māngere campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and while she’s been in a leadership role for the last two years, she still found lots to learn. 

“It made me realise all of the little things I’d missed over that time but also it’s making me think more as I go through my day-to-day stuff rather than just doing it,” she says. 

“I’m now trying to put things into practice and it works, mostly. Practice makes perfect.” 

The changes she is making at work are bringing real benefits, she says, “because I’m using more tried and established methods and people can see that and follow it. I’m a bit more methodical”. 

It’s Donna’s first time studying with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa but she quickly felt at home. 

“It’s been really good. I don’t know what I expected but in terms of the people and the facilities and everything else, it’s been great. And the encouragement and assistance with everything has been fantastic. I’ll definitely go away with some good friends.” 

The course gives students the skills and knowledge to lead a team effectively and helps them understand and manage the challenges of operating in the modern workplace. 

Donna says the course is well structured and ideal for those moving in to leadership roles as much as those already in those roles. 

“The course is built up really gradually and sensibly so you can see it all really logically, I think its great. I’d really recommend it for people that are going in to leadership but I wouldnt restrict it. I’ve been in leadership a couple of years now and loved it. I’m still learning.” 

And she intends to keep learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. 

“I’ll be back. I think I’ll just do a home study course into the Māori culture, that’s my next one.” 

Find out more about our business programmes.

Published On: 06 April 2021

Article By: Tracey Cooper

• 21 June 2022

Managing your money to better manage your future

Julian Johns hopes to see more people take control of their financial future by taking up the opportunity to study the Money Management programme on offer in Taupō through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (TWoA).

• 20 June 2022

Solo exhibition shows Jordyn’s on the right track

A single mum who dropped out of high school and never thought higher education was for her has not only completed a degree in Māori art but is now preparing for her first solo exhibition in Kirikiriroa.

• 19 June 2022

Tokoroa local aims to create brighter futures through business

Vera Rabe, is a kaiako (teacher) at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Tokoroa campus, teaching the Smart Steps to Business programme, which will begin in July.

• 15 June 2022

Matariki Rising - The mark of a new year

The rising of the stars of Matariki (and Puaka/Puanga) every winter heralds the end of one lunar year and the dawn of the next within te Ao Māori.