Stacy-Lee Taurima – Nō Ngāti Rongomaiwahine

Stacy-Lee Taurima is a passionate entrepreneur with goals to establish a positive future for her and her whānau.

Stacy-Lee – Ngāti Rongomaiwahine - currently manages a GAS petrol station and studies the Home-Based Learning Level 2 Papa Whairawa – NZ Certificate in Personal Financial Capability programme part-time with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

She has a long history in management roles. She is now working towards owning a business to financially benefit her children and whānau.

It's Stacy-Lee's first time studying since she finished high school, and she said her studies have helped at home and in her mahi.

"It's taught me some stuff and helps heaps at home with normal everyday life," she says.

"Study itself is excellent, and I've definitely had some eye-opening moments when it comes to implementing some of the things I've learnt."

She says learning with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa is "like being back at school", but she enjoys the freedom to learn from home.

"The course itself is good. You get to study at your own pace in your own time, which is helpful to people with busy schedules," she says.

"Now that my children are a bit older and we have a routine, I can fit in some study and do something for me, which is pretty cool."

She is now intent on paving a pathway to transform her whānau through education. She says she decided to return to study to gain the skills to successfully run her own business.

The skills she has learned on the course have proved helpful in her mahi, and her mahi helps reinforce what she has learned.

"It goes both ways."

"The flexibility of the programme is helpful, so when life gets busy, I can do my studies at night or on my lunch break. I am not restricted to having to be somewhere at a certain time and date; that helps a lot, being able to do it in my own time. A class-based programme wouldn't suit my lifestyle."

Stacy-Lee's advice for anyone who may be thinking about starting their study journey is just to give it a go because it sounds and looks a lot harder than it actually is.

"Some people are afraid to study, but once you get into it, you realise how much support you have, even though you are studying remotely. Te Wānanga provides heaps of support around study, even if you're studying by yourself at home. Just give it a go. You won't know unless you try."

Learn more about our Home Based Learning programmes

Published On: 07 December 2021

Article By: Ripekka Matthews

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.