Te Reo Māori graduate: Lara Meyer

Mokopuna were the motivator for education consultant Lara Meyer to begin her journey towards revitalising te reo Māori in her whānau.

“My Hoa Rangatira (husband) is Ngāti Pikiao/Ngāti Whakaue… His language is lost to him, and I know it concerns him. I want to make sure, for the sake of our mokopuna, te reo Māori is revitalised in our whānau. I want to greet my future moko in te reo Māori when they arrive.”

Lara’s journey began in 2020 with a Level 1 programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Whirikōkā. Though she recently walked the graduation stage to receive her tohu (qualification) for Level 4 and enrolled into a full immersion Level 5 programme, Lara says that this is still only the beginning.

“I know that learning Te Reo Māori is a tangible way I can acknowledge my support of my Māori whānau members, my friends, students and my hāpori. Learning te reo Māori has been a lifelong ambition of mine and I am not going to stop until I have learned all that I can.”

Lara encourages anyone considering starting their te reo Māori journey to reach out to their nearest Te Wānanga o Aotearoa campus.

“The journey starts with that first step and learning our national language is a lovely adventure. As we get older, we don’t tend to make an effort to learn new skills and we really should because it is good for us. Learning te reo Māori is good for us, good for our whānau, and good for our national cohesion. We should all learn te reo Māori because when we understand the language and culture of our neighbours, we can be a better neighbour.”

Reflecting on her time at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa so far, Lara says she appreciates the support that she’s experienced throughout her journey.

“I have made great friends. I have no whānau apart from my husband in the town I live in, but I feel
my kaiako and my classmates have treated me like whānau. The kaiako are very knowledgeable and they always make you feel as though you are important to them. I never felt stupid, and I never felt alone.”

Find out more about our te reo Māori programmes.

Published On: 22 June 2023

Article By: Claire Ross

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.

• 28 March 2024

Former All Black strengthens passion for toi through wānanga programme

Former All Black, Kees Meeuws has always had a passion for toi, so much so, that in his earlier years he studied at Elam School of Fine Arts, completing a foundation year and first year sculpture.

• 28 March 2024

Stepping out of the corporate world and into the classroom

Like many parents during the pandemic, Tamara Grace-Tonga had to become her daughter’s core teacher. Quite unexpectedly, this sparked her wanting to change her legacy.