Kaya Grace: Graduate - Diploma in Rongoā Māori

Two years ago, if you told Kaya Grace that she would be a graduate of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, she might not have believed you.

The Porirua mum says she struggled with her confidence and was wary of opening herself up to unfamiliar settings. That was until she started studying rongoā Māori at the Porirua campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“It’s been a journey of self-discovery and self-healing. I suffered quite a lot with anxiety and bouts of depression throughout my life, so I’ve looked to heal myself in all ways possible.”

Kaya completed the Certificate in Rongoā in 2021 and last year she proudly completed the Diploma in Rongoā, graduating alongside her peers and supported by her whānau.

As someone who didn’t complete secondary school, Kaya was sceptical about how her learning journey would go at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, but she was happily surprised with how much she achieved.

“I didn’t know that I could fit within an education system but I’ve achieved something academically and I’m proud of myself for that.”

Kaya credits the kaiako (teachers) she has had throughout her time studying, as well as her fellow tauira (students) who have shared the challenging yet rewarding learning journey with her.

“The kaiako were fantastic and there was so much encouragement from everyone. In the first 3 months I didn’t say much in class, but a safe space was created and that made it okay to share our vulnerabilities.”

It was a longing to reconnect with her taha Māori (Māori heritage) and te reo that led Kaya on a path to studying rongoā. And although she has completed her Diploma, she hopes to grow in te ao Māori (the Māori world) for both her and her whānau, especially her 3 daughters.

“I feel like the connection to the taiao (environment) is how I really connect with being Māori. I’m just beginning my journey, so I just want to absorb all things Māori to help me get to the place I aspire to be. The growth in my whānau through engaging in study has been amazing.”

Find out more about our Hauora programmes

Published On: 21 June 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.