Te Aroha Ngatai - Tauira Rongoā Māori

Although rongoā has always been part of Te Aroha Ngatai’s life, she once believed that she needed a qualification from a western institute to practice rongoā.

However, while studying natural health elsewhere, she always felt like something was missing. That something revealed itself when she began at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“It was the wairua that was missing. I love the whānau vibe, I love the noho. For whānau like me who don’t often go back to the pā, we’re getting refreshed in the kaupapa, the tikanga. It helps me learn and grow.”

Te Aroha completed the Level 4 Certificate in Rongoā at Waiwhero campus in Rotorua, and this year, she chose to follow kaiako Sabre Puna to Napier. She now travels to Hawkes Bay once a month for the Level 5, noho-based Diploma in Rongoā.

As a busy parent with a large whānau, she found it hard making the decision to follow her kaiako, but is pleased she did, and says the programme has opened her mind to a whole new series of learning.

“I was excited to step onto a marae down there that I wouldn’t normally go to, and learn the tikanga there.”

While spending time in Hawkes Bay studying, Te Aroha saw first hand the devastation of Cyclone Gabrielle. When the opportunity arose, she used her learnings to give back to a community in need.

“For me, it’s about serving others. When I discover things, I love to share. I see the potential in others, I want to help them. If I know something that is going to tautoko them, I’ll continue to do that.”

For Te Aroha, rongoā isn’t just about the physical aspect, the balms and poultices you can make within nature, but also how healing can be holistic.

Te Aroha’s own journey with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has become about so much more than rongoā.

“It’s self discovery. Ko wai au is really important. Learning at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa has helped me pull back the layers, learning and connecting with my whakapapa.”

By connecting with nature and learning rongoā, Te Aroha has been able to gain a deeper understanding of herself and her place in the world, and expand on the legacy she is creating for her tamariki and mokopuna.

Find out more about our hauora programmes.

Published On: 22 August 2023

Article By: Gemma Bradly-Jacka

• 29 February 2024

Discovering a passion for whakairo sparks change

Like many Māori tāne, Lebon Wilson struggled with mainstream schooling and left at 14. It’s taken him a long time to realise the benefits of being able to channel his learning and effort into something that he’s passionate about. That was by discovering whakairo.

• 26 February 2024

Ōhope couple striving for whānau success through continued education

Kylie Holmes and her partner, Harlem Ferrall, had never heard of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa until 2022 when they attended a mau rākau event at the Tauranga campus.

• 19 February 2024

Learning to lead prompts personal and professional development

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

• 16 February 2024

Teaching while creating art is a dream come true

Accepting a role as a Rauangi kaiako at the Tauranga campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa was the realisation of a long-held goal for artist and former tauira, Jordyn Daniels.