Shauniece Edwards  - Introduction to Team Leadership

Aucklander, Shauniece Edwards could not have imagined where life would take her when she decided to enrol in Intro to Team Leadership at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa early last year.

Employed as a support worker within the disability community, Shauniece wanted to step up into a senior kaiawhina role but began to realise she would need to upskill. She turned to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa and has not looked back.

“I realised I wasn’t a great communicator, and some of my behaviour wasn’t how it should be for a leader. Learning helped open my mind to the diversity in society and how not everyone learns the same way. I’ve been able to learn how to understand people and their barriers better, so I can help to support them,” she says.

While it was challenging learning new patterns of behaviour, she is immensely grateful for the skills and knowledge she has attained, which has brought positive change into her life.

Shauniece secured a secondment as a team leader and has been able to improve the communications with the team who help care for her son.

She admits that in the past she would not have held back her thoughts or criticism, but now she knows how to rephrase in a more constructive way to encourage progress and resolutions in a positive manner.

Shauniece attributes kaiako, Lucy Liu, as being the catalyst for change in her life. She describes Lucy as funny, understanding, and patient, and has a way of explaining things so tauira can understand and follow.

“She taught me in a way that I was able to learn more. There was so much knowledge I could grab and use.”

With Lucy’s support and guidance, Shauniece has been able to complete her certificate and walk the graduation stage to receive her tohu.

Shauniece now sees herself as on a never-ending journey of improvement. She has a thirst to keep learning to become a better employee, mother, wife, friend.

To others who are considering enrolling in the leadership programme, Shauniece tells them go for it.

“The sky’s the limit. I’m an example – what I’ve done in the past can stay in the past. I left school at 14, and never would have imagined I would get to where I am now”.

Learn more about our Business Programmes

Published On: 19 February 2024

Article By: Gemma Bradly-Jacka

• 19 June, 2024

Art on show at curators’ wānanga

Around 40 Māori curators from museums, galleries, archives and museums gathered at O-Tāwhao Marae in Te Awamutu over the weekend for their annual hui aimed at networking, sharing knowledge and discussing how to grow Māori capacity in the sector.

• 20 June 2024

Teen mum turned business owner with support from Wānanga youth programme

Falling pregnant at 15 was a big surprise for Paeroa teen Ella-Grace Tissingh, but with the support of the Youth Services programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, she’s managed to gain NCEA level 2, get her full license, and start up a successful business.

• 06 June 2024

Raranga programme helps funeral director to connect with traditional cultural practices

Descended from a long line of undertakers, it’s no surprise that it was tangi that brought Delano Murray (Ngāti Kurī) to Heretaunga, where he’s a funeral director for Simplicity Funerals and studying Toi Paematua Level 5 in raranga with Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

• 16 May 2024

Kawerau local lives out childhood dream of learning to weave

As a young girl, Barbara Wheto always had a fascination with harakeke and the art of weaving. But growing up in an era where being Māori and Māori culture were scorned upon, she was never encouraged to explore the art form.