Above Picture: A proud moment at graduation for three generations of Reihana women (left) Kendra Henare, Waana Reihana and Robyn Reihana

Three generations of women from the Reihana whānau graduated from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Whangarei.

The Ngāpuhi trio were unaware of the significance of  grandmother Waana Reihana (60), mother Robyn Reihana (40) and grand daughter  Kendra Henare (19) graduating at the same time on Friday until the mail arrived.

“It didn’t even occur to me until the three graduation letters arrived at my house, says matriarch Waana Reihana.

“That is when I realised it might be a rare occurrence and then the penny dropped and I thought ‘wow’ this is actually really cool.”

Waana and Robyn Reihana graduated with a diploma in Adult Education Level 5 and Kendra received a Youth Guarantee National Certificates in Fitness Level 2.

“My learning journey encouraged Robyn to study with the wānanga and now she has mahi there too,” says Waana.

“This flow on effect has touched Kendra who will take up a Bachelor of Nursing next year.”

Waana was 50-years-old when she made the very brave move to return to the classroom. Her aim was to secure a better paying job so she could afford to send her grandson Shaquille Shortland to Māori boys boarding school Hato Petera. Two years later she secured a role as a computer kaiako for the wānanga in 2007.

“I know my mum and dad were smiling down on us all. It really is a great whānau achievement. I am so very proud of us all,” says Waana.

For more information on our Diploma of Adult Education Level 5 or our free course for 16 -19yrs old National Certificate in Fitness Level 2 call us on 0800 355 553, email us (click here) or PM us on Facebook.

Published On: 30 June 2015

Article By: Alice Te Puni

• 17 Jan, 2017

Mako makes her move

When Mako Jones became a grandmother, she knew it was time to let her own light shine.

• 17 Jan, 2017

Fun afloat at waka festival

The Tāmaki Herenga Waka Festival is set to take place at the Viaduct Events Centre in Auckland to showcase the city and counter the traffic departing for Auckland Anniversary long weekend.

• 17 Jan, 2016

Artistic dream revived

Paretapu-Teira Penetito Waru was in a classroom when it dawned upon her she had nearly forgotten what her high school dream actually was.

• 17 Jan, 2017

Vianney Parata's ambition to be a Tā Moko artist is etching closer by the day.

"That's what I aspire to be," says the Ko Te Atiawa ki Whakarongotai, Ngāti Toa Rangatira me Ngāti Kahungunu mother of two.