Above Picture: A proud moment at graduation for three generations of Reihana women (left) Kendra Henare, Waana Reihana and Robyn Reihana

Three generations of women from the Reihana whānau graduated from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Whangarei.

The Ngāpuhi trio were unaware of the significance of  grandmother Waana Reihana (60), mother Robyn Reihana (40) and grand daughter  Kendra Henare (19) graduating at the same time on Friday until the mail arrived.

“It didn’t even occur to me until the three graduation letters arrived at my house, says matriarch Waana Reihana.

“That is when I realised it might be a rare occurrence and then the penny dropped and I thought ‘wow’ this is actually really cool.”

Waana and Robyn Reihana graduated with a diploma in Adult Education Level 5 and Kendra received a Youth Guarantee National Certificates in Fitness Level 2.

“My learning journey encouraged Robyn to study with the wānanga and now she has mahi there too,” says Waana.

“This flow on effect has touched Kendra who will take up a Bachelor of Nursing next year.”

Waana was 50-years-old when she made the very brave move to return to the classroom. Her aim was to secure a better paying job so she could afford to send her grandson Shaquille Shortland to Māori boys boarding school Hato Petera. Two years later she secured a role as a computer kaiako for the wānanga in 2007.

“I know my mum and dad were smiling down on us all. It really is a great whānau achievement. I am so very proud of us all,” says Waana.

For more information on our Diploma of Adult Education Level 5 or our free course for 16 -19yrs old National Certificate in Fitness Level 2 call us on 0800 355 553, email us (click here) or PM us on Facebook.

Published On: 30 June 2015

Article By: Alice Te Puni

• April 3, 2019

Weaving a secure future

A Te Wānanga o Aotearoa masters tauira has gone from working in security to taking part in international arts residencies where he shares his weaving expertise with indigenous artists.

• New Te Wānanga o Aotearoa police preparation course offered

Tairawhiti police are welcoming a fresh Te Wānanga o Aotearoa course aimed at preparing people keen on a career as a police officer.

• Graduation for Marlborough's mayor

Marlborough’s mayor John Leggett has just graduated from Level 2 TeAra Reo Māori (He Pī Ka Pao).

• Te Wānanga o Aotearoa stand a hive of activity

Visitors to the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa stand at Te Matatini ki te Ao 2019, have three options.